To The Policeman Who Is Also My Dad

To The Policeman Who Is Also My Dad

To some you are the enemy, but you will always be my hero.

14
To The Policeman Who Is Also My Dad

It's been so hard recently to get on social media or watch the news without seeing some kind of tragic event happening in the world.

There have been so many tough, heart-breaking incidents between police and the public so many of them try to protect.

But, no matter what I read, I only think of one person.

My policeman: the man inside the uniform who is more than just a man inside a uniform. He is my dad.

My dad is rough around the edges and strong willed in everything he does. He's been an active military man and I can honestly say I've been more worried about him going out on third shift every night than I probably would have been knowing he was in combat somewhere. Isn't that so sad? That I worry more while he is in our homeland, our free land, than I do when he would be in the crossfires of those who want nothing more than to see his blood? I can't even wrap my head around the comparison I just made. It makes me sick to think that I couldn't have him anymore because people simply can't agree or be reasonable and respectful.

I know a lot of people will take away from this that I am invalidating any life that isn't isn't wearing a uniform, but that isn't the case.

I am not concerned with the uniform, the weapons, the situations, but with the person who bravely CHOOSES to put it on when he doesn't have to. My focus is on the person who looks to serve and protect everyone around for the benefit of my family and your family. My focus is my DAD.

Every night when my dad leaves the house, I always say a small prayer for his safety and for the safety of his fellow officers. I pray that he comes back the next morning. It's easy for me to not think about what's going on out there because I am tucked away safely in my bed thanks to him and the other officers that are doing their jobs to protect me and to protect you. I can't say I understand what they go through or how they do it, but I know that if I didn't have my dad to protect and support me like he does you every day he puts on that uniform, then I just wouldn't know anything at all.

If I've learned anything from watching the news, trying to understand what's going on, and trying to grasp the concept that my dad might not come back home one day, is that this world is lacking love.

So, today, tomorrow and any chance you get: take a second to consider and reflect on your family, friends, and loved ones. Cherish them and their life. Love them every chance that you are given and make sure they know they are appreciated. Hold them a little closer at night, kiss them goodbye, and say a little prayer to yourself that they can come home to you one more time, because in these times, that is a blessing none of us should ever take for granted.

Thank you for what you have done, for what you do, and for what you will do. I can't wrap my head around what you have seen and what you will see in your time out there. I can't understand why things happen sometimes and I don't know if I ever will. But one thing always stands: I am always hoping, always praying that you come home another day, Dad.