Pokemon's History Of Getting You To Exercise

Even before Pokemon GO, Nintendo's been trying a long time to make you leave your house.
11

Pokemon GO players have come across dead bodies, been mugged, walked off cliffs, and kayaked into the ocean to claim a Gym. With cities filled with trainers searching for these Pocket Monsters, It seems that Nintendo's most recent effort at making its players interact with each other seems to be working, albeit rather strangely. However, Nintendo has a much longer (and failed) history of trying to get its Pokemon trainers to go outside and socialize.

(Disclaimer: not actual quotes from Nintendo)

1. Pokemon Yellow (1998)

Each version of the game has version-exclusive Pokemon. How are you possibly supposed to catch them all you may ask? With this nifty little thing called a Game Link Cable where you can trade your Pokemon with other players!

2. Pokemon Crystal (2000)

We've thrown in a Mobile Adaptor GB and a Pokemon Pikachu pedometer with your game so you can connect your game to your phone and get mystery gifts walking around and meeting trainers. How cool is that?

3. Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen (2004)

There's this thing called a Union Room now. With a wireless adaptor you can interact with other trainers from a short distance away to chat, battle, trade, or whatever -- we don't really care. Please just go meet people.

4. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (2006)

You don't even have to look for the other players. We do that for you in the Global Trade Station. Go to your trade tower in-game and we find someone for you to trade with. We do all the work for you, so please go socialize?

5. Pokemon X/Y (2013)

Zero effort required from you now. If you're even near anyone who has Pokemon, the game will register them for you. Please leave your damn house.

6. Pokemon GO (2016)

Please just go outside.