The 'Pokemon GO' Addiction

The 'Pokemon GO' Addiction

This is real life — that's only fantasy.

44
The 'Pokemon GO' Addiction

I lead a relatively sedentary lifestyle. I'll pretty much readily admit that. I go to work, sit at a desk all day, come home, watch Netflix and go to sleep. I have a gym membership, but let's be real: I'm definitely not the most consistent at going (read: I haven't been in several weeks).

But Saturday was different – Saturday I went on a walk.

So what? Big deal. People go on walks all the time.

Sure. But it’s only recently that people have starting going on walks with a purpose – to catch ‘em all.

And by “all” I mean Pokemon.

When "Pokemon GO" was first released on July 5, I’m not going to lie – I flipped my cap around, happily jumped aboard that train and rode away into the sunset with a mighty Ho-Oh flying across the sky.

However, because the fifth was a Tuesday, and I really felt the need to follow my regularly scheduled go-to-work-come-home-watch-Netflix lifestyle, I didn’t really get the chance to become the Pokemon master that I so desired to be right away. I caught my starter (Charmander, obvi), but I thought it would be better to wait until the weekend to really get in to the game.

It all started while I went on a drive with my boyfriend. I turned the game on waited.

“I caught a Pidgey!” I yelled.

“Congrats, baby,” he responded.

“Look, another Pidgey!” I yelled again.

“Why?” he asked.

“Hey. Another Pidgey,” I sighed.

“Stop with the Pidgeys,” he pleaded.

It was then that I decided a drive through the city would not be nearly enough to become the very best, like no one ever was.

So I took a walk.

This is where things kind of get touchy. Did I venture into the outside world, willingly, with only the promise of Pokemon? Yes, yes I did. Did I take a 30-minute walk around my neighborhood, racking up nearly 5,000 steps (almost 3,000 more than is normal for me)? You bet. Did I catch every Pokemon that I ever wanted and become a Pokemon master? Well, not quite.

I’m not deluded – I know that catching the rare Pokemon won’t be easy. After all, Mews are not just going to show up at my door like, “Here I am!”

But when it’s a Caterpie evading my capture, there’s something wrong.

My walk started as a search for the Krabby that had appeared in my “Nearby” Pokemon tab. Then, after walking around my yard, my neighbor’s yard and down the street without finding it, I changed course for a Zubat. But the more I walked, the more the Zubat seemed to fall behind. Instead, I followed the path of a Caterpie.

Now, maybe I’m not as dedicated as I’ve made myself out to be (I did wait a whole week to start catching, after all), but one thing I’m just not comfortable with is trespassing. Maybe my situation would have been different had it been a Mew that I was on the tail of but, in my case, it was a mere Caterpie. Fortunately for me, there’s no shortage of the caterpillar Pokemon, and I was able to catch one only a few minutes later. However, the fact that I needed to wander through a stranger’s yard, hop a fence and venture into the fields to find a Caterpie didn’t sit well with me at all.

I guess I’m truly no Ash Ketchum.

Not to mention that after 30 minutes of playing, "Pokemon GO" had drained my phone battery more than halfway. And the fact that I live on a lake and, yet, have somehow managed to not catch any water Pokemon. I call shenanigans.

Obviously, not all Pokemon are going to be readily available. Most are going to require a lot of walking, some are going to ask you to trespass, but every single Pokemon you catch is going to drain your battery just a little bit more.

But that’s just the price you pay to truly become the best.

So whether you walk around your neighborhood catching Caterpie, or drive down the highway fighting off Pidgeys, or simply take a leisurely stroll through the park, catching whatever comes at you, please don’t forget that this is the real world and "Pokemon GO" is merely a game. Yes, it’s fun. Yes, it gets people outside and moving, something very few people are willing to do anymore.

However, no matter what, you will see that Pokemon again. So always be aware of your surroundings, don’t walk in the middle of the road while you play, don't trespass and definitely do not play while you're the one driving the car.

You can still have fun and catch ‘em all without doing something extraordinarily stupid.