Why Pokémon Go Is Exactly What The World Needs Right Now

Saving the world, one Pokémon at a time.

15
Imgmr.com

Every time you turn on the news, you hear the details of another terrorist attack, a hate crime, or some other awful event. Our televisions, and phone screens, are constantly flooded with depressing and terrifying news everyday. Our world has turned into one that provides hate more readily than love. It seems that with every day that goes by, we, as humankind, grow farther and farther apart.

So, as I begin to see the effects that Pokémon Go has on my community, and the rest of the world, I have come to realize that it is exactly what the doctor called for. Pokémon Go is encouraging the world to work together for a common cause, no matter how minor it is.

I was sitting in the library on campus one evening when I opened the app just to see if there were any good Pokémon nearby. I noticed that a Squirtle, a popular starter, was nearby, and I quickly jumped up and began to search for it. As I burst out of the library doors, I must have had a sense of urgency and purpose about me that screamed, "I am on the search for a pretty good Pokémon right now," and two strangers called down the hallway and asked what I was looking for. When I told them there was a Squirtle nearby, they jumped up as well and started to join me. We worked together to figure out what direction we should be heading, and the farther we walked, the more people joined us on our hunt. Every few feet, someone would ask, "Are you guys looking for Squirtle too?" and they would join us as well. We also ran into people who told us they had seen Squirtle at the bottom of the hill, and redirected us to where we needed to go. Eventually Squirtle disappeared from our nearby list, and realizing our efforts were futile, we decided to call it a day. However, this hunt was not in vain. Although I did not add an impressive Pokémon to my collection, my hopes were restored. I realized that humanity is not lost. By uniting us in a common goal, Nintendo has brought my campus, and communities everywhere, together.

In a time where it seems that love cannot be found in the world, here is a group of people helping each other, and joining their unique talents together to accomplish something. They show a desire to assist one another and unite. There were no hurtful words exchanged (besides playful banter between teams), only words of encouragement. There was excitement in everyone's voices as they told strangers of the best Pokémon they've caught. I even heard pure happiness as people talked about how the game has encouraged them to get out of their cramped apartment, interact with strangers, and get exercise. It has made them healthier, and happier. It gives people the motivation they need to get out, push their boundaries, and talk to people face-to-face -- all while using an app.

Most importantly, I have seen people from all different backgrounds, races, interests, groups, and ages come together. They eagerly help each other with compassion, and receive help in return. You can forget for a moment that bad things are happening all around us, because such a good thing is happening right here at home. You can be reminded that there are still many, many not just good, but incredible people out there. You see people putting aside their differences, and forgetting that they are different, because through this game we are all one and the same: Pokémon trainers hoping to become the best there ever was.

"We do have a lot in common. The same earth, the same air, the same sky. Maybe if we started to look at what's the same instead of always looking at what's different, well, who knows?" -- Meowth