What Do You Know About Poke Cakes?

What Do You Know About Poke Cakes?

Easy, Breezy, Delicious

32
What Do You Know About Poke Cakes?
omgchocolatedesserts

During this past month, I've been doing very little baking. And by very little, I mean I've made probably just one thing this entire time. Frankly, I'm horrified at myself. But, I like to think that because the past month was spent fasting, I really shouldn't have expected anything different. What fun is baking if you can't lick the bowl, am I right? So, in an attempt to get back into the swing of things, I was scrolling through various recipes, all the while thinking, "Ugh, too much effort."

This is what happens when you don't bake for a month.

You get into this state where you want to create sweet, delicious desserts, but you're stuck feeling lethargic and unwilling to jump right into more complicated recipes. It was then that I was reminded of cake mixes, everything all in a package just waiting to be put together. Only, I can admit to having become a bit of a baking snob over the past year, and I like making what I can from scratch. I tend to avoid cake mixes for the most part.

But there is one dessert exception to my snobbery, and that is the poke cake. While you could make the cake for this from scratch, most recipes (blessedly) start with a cake mix, and they are varied, simple, creative and oh so good. This then is my way to get inspiration and motivation to get into baking again; with something not too difficult but still absolutely tasty. So, without further ado, I introduce to you...the poke cake!

I think perhaps I should start by explaining why a poke cake is called a poke cake. The quality of a poke cake that I adore and that really makes it stand out is the fact that holes are poked all over the cake, and a pudding or sauce or sweetened condensed milk (among many other things) is poured over and allowed to seep into the cake to give it extra flavor. It allows you to take a box cake mix up another level from something that's just simply frosted and can allow for more layering of flavors that you can't get otherwise.

This chocolate turtle poke cake is a great example of an easy starter poke cake. Everything is bought, not much additional work required outside of putting together the cake mix. You simply bake the cake, poke holes, pour sweetened condensed milk, and layer on chocolate frosting and chopped nuts. It couldn't get any easier than that!

Poke cakes are so varied, it's wonderful. Sometimes it's the filling that really gives the cake its flavor, like in this banana pudding poke cake that's simple but looks so so good. Sometimes it's the frosting that makes the cake ( for example, this Reese's Peanut Butter Chocolate Poke Cake). Poke cakes are pretty much limitless in the flavor combinations available. And for a more adventurous baker, it's an easy way to get into experimenting with your own recipes! Instead of a box mix, make your own variation on a cake and soak it in caramel and top it in fudge. Or top it with anything! Take inspiration from other desserts. There's a tiramasu poke cake recipe I came across the other day, and even this one based off of one of my favorite Girl Scout cookies! Just have fun with it; the poke cake is easy, delicious, and perfectly suited to adaptations, so go wild!

I could go on and on about these cakes without tiring because there are so many good recipes to share like here, here, and here. But I'll force myself to finish this off by saying that pretty much anyone can make this fabulous dessert without too much effort and still wow whoever the lucky taste tester is (even if that's you). So, go out, grab a cake mix and get baking!