Poetry On The Odyssey: Life Isn't As Easy As It Used To Be

Childhood tricks don't stick

216

When I was younger, my mom always used to tell me to blink 3 times and the bad thoughts would disappear.

That used to work for the imaginary fear of course: monsters, ghosts, and the goblins.

But what do I do now that I'm older?

Blinking 3 times doesn't make the real fears wash away: The fear of heartbreak, loneliness and pain.

It used to be a little "monster spray" keeping those bad guys away,

But what can we use to keep them away now that those bad guys are no longer the monsters, it's those with bad intentions aiming to destroy you mentally.

I used to believe the more I'd say God's name out loud, the further away the devil would stay.

But the devil is no longer just a "spirit" -but it's the beautiful guy with the charming smile who lets you fall for him just to watch you shatter.

Why is the ease in life temporary while the struggles are permanent?

Why can't the little tricks from our childhood help cure the insecurities in adulthood?