Poetry On Odyssey: Unwinding Road

Poetry On Odyssey: Unwinding Road

Don't let society try to take control...

14

As we all try to figure out our lives in the times of change we come to a point where we just wish the road was straight. We see in our own perspective that others lives are so great, as we scroll through every social media app. We get trapped in society's thoughts, and maybe even the expectations of our families, and how "this is how life just is, it is supposed to go this way, don't be wrong or else your life is a disaster." We get chained to others thoughts that tell us what could go wrong, or life has some sort of rule book that we HAVE to hit all these points. But in reality, in all of this, we stop trusting in ourselves and listen to the voice of "follow the rules."

Unwinding Road

I'm driving down this unwinding road trying to figure out which way to go.

Left or right oh I pray to God I choose right cause everyone says it's going to be the rest of your life.

Oh little one with such little faith don't let the unknown journey wash your hopes and dreams away

don't be the girl who is scared to say it all.

Hides what she feels or says that she doesn't know.

Don't let society try to take control

and all the people who say this is how it goes.

Listen to the voice that is deep in your heart.

Don't be afraid to move and break the "normal."

Cause everyone says it's going to be the rest of your life.

They say life isn't supposed to be easy

so why does everyone I see look so darn happy?

There are bumps, there are days where I don't want to even show my face.

oh God, I pray that there's something there that will be worth this chase.

I know there's something there.

But, I just sit and stare

I get scared of all these feelings that I'm creating

because I've been told they will get me nowhere.

Take the first steps and try to not hold back.

Cause if you look back you don't want to regret driving down this unwinding road

trying to figure out which way to go.

Left or right oh I pray to God I choose right.

-AKay