Poetry On Odyssey: A Poem For My Grandma

A poem about how the end of the cycle of grief is never fully achieved.

1

the revolving door

vintage trends,

tacky yet aesthetically pleasing stripes,

and regurgitated designs

deprive

from our deceased ancestors souls,

digging their ways from

the shallow pockets within our hearts

with whatever remains

of their deteriorating hands.

the atoms of their souls

are inhaled with every

moment where remembrance

finally creeps into our brains.

my heart cracked slightly,

and i swore i heard your

laughter followed by heavy breathing

and bloody coughing.

i know somewhere out there

you're probably flying with

monarch butterflies

or a flock of songbirds,

tweeting

the woes of me and bobby mcgee

and a woman left lonely.

when i follow in your footsteps

with a collapsed lung,

i'll swallow flames

from your old red lighter,

and as my insides turn to ash,

i'll hope to god that

it's more excoriating

then your cremation,

so i can brag to you in heaven.

Top 20 Hottest NHL Players

Whoever said hockey players weren't hot?
14245

Hockey is my favorite sport. I grew up in a Chicago suburb where hockey fans run wild, so it is literally impossible to grow up here and not be an NHL fan. For some reason, it seems to be believed that hockey players are all ugly with missing teeth, and I could not disagree more. Here is my pick for the 20 hottest players in the NHL.

20. Brendan Gallagher, Montreal Canadiens

Maybe all of the hours I spent studying French weren't a waste, off to Montreal!

19. Alex Wennburg, Columbus Blue Jackets

He has the power to make the whole world believe in love at first sight.

18. Alec Martinez, Los Angeles Kings

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, whatever you know the song, call me!

17. John Tavares, New York Islanders

The Islanders did not waste their first overall draft pick in 2009 in the looks (and skills) department.

16. Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado Avalanche

Is it just me or does he look like a Disney Prince?

15. Zach Parise, Minnesota Wild

Bonus: He admitted to watching "Pretty Little Liars" with his wife, so he's basically perfect.

14. T.J. Oshie, Washington Capitals

If pictures of him holding his daughter Lyla doesn't steal your heart I don't know what will.

13. Beau Bennett, Pittsburgh Penguins

All-American looks, all-American charm.

12. Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens

There's some beauty behind that goalie mask for the 2015 NHL MVP.

11. Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks

Remember the boy you were told to stay away from in high school but you couldn't because he was so magnetic? That's Patrick Kane for you.

10. Ryan Kesler, Anaheim Ducks

If you don't already have a hot dad crush, this isn't a bad one to start with.

9. Trevor Van Riemsdyk, Chicago Blackhawks

Bonus: He's only 24 and single.

8. Jamie Benn, Dallas Stars

His gelled back hair *heart eye emoji*.

7. Artemi Panarin, Chicago Blackhawks

Whoever said Russian guys weren't hot?

6. Tyler Seguin, Dallas Stars

I'm usually not one for a lot of tattoos and like to think I'm done with my "bad boy" phase, but Tyler changes it all.

5. Andrew Shaw, Chicago Blackhawks

Usually isn't considered one of the better looking players, yet I disagree entirely.

4. Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers

If all guys in Sweden look like this book me a ticket ASAP.

3. Brandon Saad, Columbus Blue Jackets

Sexiest eyes in the NHL, and his smile doesn't hurt either.

2. Patrick Sharp, Dallas Stars

There isn't such thing as a hot hockey player list without Patrick Sharp in the top five.

1. Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks

Great player, great captain, great person, great looking; everything you can want in a hockey player.