I Wrote A Poem To Feel More Like Myself Again, And It Worked

Sometimes you just need to sit back and reflect to feel a little bit better.

14

Lately I have been feeling rather down in the dumps. The other day I decided that the obvious solution was to start writing. I often get this drive to start writing but don't know what to say so I just start typing. The snow had been on my mind a lot, and I was thinking about the excitement of snow days and two-hour delays growing up and how those aren't really necessary anymore in this tele-communicative world.

So I started writing what eventually turned into a rather rough draft of poem which eventually turned into this:

The unmatched energy

Buzzing through the halls

Of students hoping

Tonight there'd be a call.

If you heard there'd be snow

You'd stare at the phone

Hoping tomorrow

You'd get to stay home.

There's nothing quite like it

Waking up to no school

You'd stay in your PJs

Cuddled up like a fool.

You'd make some hot chocolate,

Always too strong

You'd snuggle with Mom

And feel young all day long.

And even if

The school only delayed

Your heart would be joyous

All your woes seemed to fade.

You'd run down the hall

And laugh with your friends

With class half the time

The fun never ends.

I'm grateful to have grown up

When snow days were plentiful

The world seemed without problems

The laughter incredible.

We had no Zoom or

Flexible Instruction

We simply had snow

And no thoughts of self-destruction.

Today kids don't get

The rush that we did

Once we got that phone call

(At least before FID).

When we heard we could spend

A silly little Wednesday

At home in our beds

Or have a little friends day.

Of course just the friends

Who lived in the hood.

We'd build a nice snowman

And name him misunderstood.

Today's kids don't know

Those days that we had

With no cares or concerns

We knew no snow day that was bad.

We are all grown up now

In a world like no other

And sometimes it feels

Like we shouldn't even bother.

But I can't help but wonder

If granted a snow day

This crazy messed up world

Might finally be okay.

It's not the best and could still use some tweaking, and there are definitely some parts that are almost inside jokes that I know most folks won't understand. But ever since I started I've been feeling much better and much more myself.

Since writing it, lovely glimpses of hope and good news have appeared, and I can't help but wonder if the world is being restored. So if you've been feeling off lately, which is totally OK, try and find something that fuels you and can hopefully bring a little bit of light back into your life.