Please Listen, WCU
Politics

Please Listen, WCU

A thank you letter to the writer of the Buzzfeed article.

17
Please Listen, WCU

A Buzzfeed article has been circulating various social media websites regarding recent sexual assault incidents at West Chester University. The writer of this article, although not a student at WCU, confronts the email that the President of the university used to address students, and the issue she has with it. The writer’s name is Judy, and you can read her article here.

In her article, Judy states, “While I do not feel comfortable being the voice for WCU, I felt it was my obligation as a fellow student - and as a fellow person - to say something.” As a former, and recent graduate, of WCU, I would like to say this to Judy: thank you. Thank you for addressing the issues within this email that many of us can see, but might not necessarily voice to the people who need to hear it. Thank you for bringing up so many valid and realistic points about rape culture, party culture and the misconceptions about rape in general.

Seeing the picture of the famous WCU Ram covered in signs stating “THIS IS NOT THE ANSWER. ALCOHOL DOES NOT CAUSE RAPE,” obviously a protest, almost makes me ashamed to be an alumnus of this institution. I am enraged that the adults that run the university that I absolutely loved attending for 4 ½ years think that there is anything acceptable about their choice of action.

On the other hand, it makes me proud to have attended a university where the students acknowledge, and openly state that this is not OK. Since I have read Judy’s article, more flyers have been posted on the Recitation Hall sign, in the elevator of Main Hall, and other random spots throughout campus. Students continue to fight. Because the truth is, West Chester: this is not OK. And you’re right, Judy. I AM angry.

As Judy explains in her article, the President states in his email to all students that there will be random sobriety checks as students leave and enter campus, as a way of preventing violence on and around the campus. The email explains that there will be lectures and safety checkpoints to go over procedures before leaving campus. Sounds like a good solution, right? Wrong.

I’m sorry, WCU, but if we are capable of being accepted into your institution, I think we are capable of being aware of safety concerns and procedures. Safety procedures will not help a 110lb freshman year girl when a 200lb senior year male is holding her down. Safety procedures will not help you when someone slips something into your drink at a house party when your cup is in your hand, and you turn your head for a split second. Because those things happen regardless of sobriety.

Throughout my time in the Dub C, I made numerous treks from the small town bar scene down Walnut Street to my apartment all the way on the other side of campus. There, in fact, have been numerous times where I have been cat-called, hollered at, and coerced to come into a certain party or yard.

At the time, I knew better than to listen to those requests. A younger me, however, may not have. If there had been a sobriety checkpoint closer to my apartment, maybe I would have wandered into that sketchy house and spent the night in an unsafe environment, exactly as Judy explains might happen. Looking at the future, I have a cousin who is a senior in high school. She and her best friend are considering attending WCU together next fall. Do I think that random sobriety checks will help them stay safe during their first year away from home? Absolutely. Not.

Judy’s article proves to many of us, especially my fellow WCU students and alumni, that these situations do happen all over the country, and it might not be real until it hits close to home. We must continue to fight to end the use of alcohol as an excuse for anything, especially sexual violence.

What about the sexual violence incidents that are not a result of alcohol or substance abuse? I understand that it may not be ethically acceptable to state whether or not one, or both, parties involved in the case were under the influence. But assuming that sobriety checkpoints is simply pushing the real problem under the rug. There are bigger issues here.

West Chester University is full of talented, intelligent, enjoyable students, faculty, and staff members. I have no doubt that there are people who know that this is not the way to fix the real problem, that it is simply covering it up and taking the easy way out. C’mon West Chester, we’re better than this.

And Judy, once again, thank you for being a voice. I can’t wait to hear what the President says in response to your email.