Pro-Life Or Pro-Choice, We Need To Talk About Abortion
Sexual Health

Whether you are pro-life or pro-choice, this is a discussion that we need to have.

220
Photo by lucia on Unsplash

I am really upset.

I wasn't even planning on writing this article and it is very upsetting to me that I feel so inclined to do so when I could be writing about things that make me smile.

Before I say anymore, I want to preface this article by saying that I mean no offense to anyone or their beliefs and I am choosing my words very carefully. I feel that a lot of things that have been said about this topic have been completely inappropriate. Everyone, regardless of what they believe, is deserving of consideration and respect. It is my hope that this article can spark a productive and civil dialogue about the topic of abortion.

I would also like to say that I do not want anyone to think that I am trying to force any kind of agenda on them. These thoughts and ideas are my own and I am simply expressing them.

OK.

So, at this point, it is pretty much impossible to avoid this discussion. It is constantly popping up on my social media and in my day-to-day conversation. I think it is great that we are talking about this. The circumstances, however, are unfortunate.

I am pro-choice. I wholeheartedly believe that someone carrying a fetus should have the option to end a pregnancy if they feel it is the best decision for them.

But I also understand the thought process behind the pro-life side of the discussion.

I always try to see things from someone else's point of view. I think there is a lot that we can learn from one another if we enter a conversation with an open mind. If you are pro-life, if that is what you believe, then that's great. To me, this is not a question of whether pro-choice or pro-life is better. It's a question of whose rights are being compromised and for what?

It is so difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that some people put so much emphasis on saving an unborn child while completely disregarding the hundreds of thousands of children who do not have homes worldwide. What about the children everywhere that are being marginalized because of their skin color or their sexual orientation or whatever it may be? What about all the children who are being mistreated or abused? What about them?

A lot of the time, I hear the argument that there are so many people who are unable to conceive and therefore think that abortion is wrong and selfish. With all due respect and sympathy for those who think this or have experienced this, if someone chooses to get an abortion, it in no way denies someone else's chance to be a parent.

It makes me so angry that in some places, abortion is a worse crime than rape. It makes me angry that the children and the people who may need an abortion are being overlooked and unheard. It makes me angry that people who will never have to make this kind of decision for themselves think they can speak over the voices of the people that this affects. It is wrong. It is unconstitutional. It is stripping away the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Abortion is not something that people do for fun. Having a child can be such a beautiful thing, but whether you support abortion or not, it needs to be an available, safe, and affordable option because as sad as it may be, having a child can also be a terribly devastating thing.

Pregnancy is an intrusive and sometimes dangerous state of being. In some cases, carrying the fetus may be life-threatening. The child may be the result of rape and it will constantly reflect that abuse. The parents may be unable to care for the child. Whatever it may be, it is not a decision to be made by politicians nor is it a decision that will be the same for everyone.

If you don't support abortion, that is completely fine. It becomes not fine when that belief is forced upon others. Everyone has their reasons for doing what they do. If an autonomous person chooses to engage in their own self-regarding actions, then we ought to let them do so.

Thank you for reading.