Please Get Diagnosed With A Mental Illness BEFORE You Glamorize Your 'Sickness'

Mental illness is not and should never be the newest fad.

63
Pixnio

Having a month dedicated to Mental Health is important, and I am glad to have this dedication for so many reasons. Not just because I am diagnosed with a few Mental Illnesses, but because there are so many people out there suffering who need our help to speak up and get help.

Fact: You don't have a Mental Illness until you are diagnosed with one by a doctor.

Yeah, you may be feeling depressed or anxious, but if you are not diagnosed with an illness that you don't have one. Now I'm not saying that if you are having symptoms of any mental illness that you DON'T have it. But, plain and simple... You need to see a doctor if you're feeling that way so you can get the help and care that you need.

Here's my rant:

There are so many people who put up facebook statuses, tweets, etc claiming they have panic attacks or are depressed when they really aren't truly diagnosed. This is frustrating to those who do have a mental illness diagnosis because we suffer every day and someone who is a little blue for a day claiming they are "depressed" is glamorizing what is totally and completely real for some people.

Mental illness isn't the newest fad. It's something very real and valid. Sorry, but you don't have OCD if you are just a "neat freak," you don't have anxiety if you're just nervous, and you aren't depressed if you're sad for a hot sec.