Please Don't Denounce All American Media

"Journalism is an act of faith in the future." -Ann Curry

5

As a journalist student, it is easy to get discouraged in today’s social climate. Staying optimistic is not simple when watching esteemed journalistic corporations make unethical decisions. And it doesn't give you too much excitement when you see your degree on the list of "10 Most Worthless College Majors."

There is an ethical problem within the American media. I am certainly not denying that. We have seen it within this past election cycle, and I have no doubt that we will see it in the years to come. However, I think it is incredibly ignorant to state that all American media is dishonorable.

Good journalism still exists.

I’m reminded of it every day when I go to class and learn from professors who still believe in the craft of journalism. They believe in pushing out a new generation that will free the media from these harsh accusations. I feel a surge of hope when I learn about journalists practicing their profession in foreign lands, gaining information that we would not have if they were not brave enough to do so.

At this moment, there is a whole new generation of students being trained in the craft of journalism. We see the detrimental mistakes that are happening, and we are taking note so that we do not follow in the same footsteps. We are studying the greats: Bob Woodward, Carl Bernstein, Nellie Bly, Walter Cronkite, Edward R. Murrow, Christiane Amanpour, and more.

We are watching. We are learning. And we are preparing to bring credibility back to the American media.