Please, Do Not Tell Me That My Major Is Easy

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

12
i.ytimg.com

Picking a college major is a difficult task on it's own. When you’re 18 years old and you have to decide what it is that you want to do for the rest of your life, it’s a terrifying moment. What if you change your mind? What if you don’t make enough money? What if you’re not happy? The amount of ‘what ifs’ that pop in your mind are infinite. But we all take a deep breath, and take a leap of faith when we finally decide on our majors.

For me, picking a major was an easy decision. I knew what I liked and disliked, and even better I knew what I loved. I knew I wanted to be a writer, I knew I wanted to work in media or entertainment, and that’s what landed me at majoring in Communication Studies. When I tell people my major I get mixed reviews. Some people are happy for me for finding what I love at such a young age, some ask why I didn’t major in something more ‘important’, like Science. Some congratulate me on choosing such a good field with a plethora of job options for when I graduate, and my least favorite comment, the one that makes my blood boil beneath my skin; is when people say that my major is the “easy major.”

Not in any way is my major going to cure cancer, end global warming, or save lives. but it doesn’t mean that it isn’t important. If you use any form of media what so ever; you can thank a Communications major for that. If you have a favorite television show like Game of Thrones or Orange is the New Black, you can thank a Communications major for that. If you are reading this article, you can thank a Communications major for that.

Why do you care what MY major is? Why do the classes I take make YOU feel better about yourself? The moral of the story is that YOU don’t have any idea what my major is like; because it isn’t your major. You do not know how difficult my classes are, what my tests are like, or how many papers I have written since Freshman year. You know nothing about my journey as a communications major, the struggles I have dealt with in the last three years, or basically any experience I have within the major.

And just to enlighten you a little bit more; try being in the arts and humanities college at a university that cares solely on the sciences. The science majors are being rewarded with ANOTHER new science building; because one brand new one wasn’t enough. While the rest of us will have to suffer with 500 less parking spots now. While science majors have a plethora of classes to choose from every semester, us Communications majors only have 10-15; if we’re lucky.

SO, please keep your comments to yourself, about how your major is superior to mine; because Stockton reminds me of that every damn day. And please don’t say that my major is easy, unless you have majored in all 500 majors that are offered in the U.S.; when you simply have no idea. And here’s a final life lesson from me; how about don’t comment on anything that you have absolutely no idea about? Because didn’t your mom teach you that if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all?