A Playlist to Help You Survive Heartbreak

A 9 Song Playlist To Help You Survive Heartbreak

Songs to Dance and/or Cry To

94
https://www.everypixel.com/search?q=headphones&stocks_type=free&image_id=9175279119086275189

So, long story short, I've been going through a tough time lately. These past few weeks have been really rough as I've tried to handle my emotional pain while also keeping up with my schoolwork and studying for my midterms. And in this time, I've found listening to music to be a cathartic release. If you're going through a similar situation, I know it probably feels like the end of the world right now; but it isn't. You'll pick up the pieces of your broken heart, put them back together, and you'll move on. So here's a soundtrack for your process of healing.

1. "All Too Well" by Taylor Swift 

This song is arguably the greatest Taylor Swift song ever written and it is absolutely devastating to listen to Taylor beautifully recount her breakup with Jake Gyllenhaal with poetic lyrics and heartbreaking honesty. Be wary of listening to this song in public because you might end up crying in the middle of Chipotle.

2. "Liability" by Lorde 

The quintessential song for sad boy hours. I think anyone can relate to Lorde's narrative about feeling lonely and trying to find solace in this solitude. I highly recommend listening to this one on an angsty midnight monument walk.

3. "Kept Me Crying" by HAIM

The sisters of HAIM are masters of taking heartbreak and turning it into art. This gem perfectly captures the contradictory emotions of trying to move past someone while at the same time not wanting to let them go.

4. "Holy" by Jamila Woods 

Shout out to my roommate for buying Jamila Woods' album HEAVN and introducing me to this masterpiece. Jamila Woods is an artists who blends the personal and the political in ways that are mesmerizing and jaw-dropping and her entire album is worth a listen but this song in particular is an anthem for self-love that is beautiful both in lyrics and in melody. Also, the music video is dope.

5. "Space Cowboy" by Kacey Musgraves 

Kacey Musgraves is one of the best singer-songwriters in country music today and this ballad is the perfect ode to letting go of a relationship that has reached its end.

6. "Dancing on My Own" by Robyn

This dance-pop jam is the perfect blend of happy and sad, with Robyn pining after a guy who doesn't want her but then realizing that she's great on her own. It's empowering and uplifting- everything a pop song should be.

7. "Party for One" by Carly Rae Jepsen 

This newly released bop is all about having a good time on your own. Sometimes, you just have to wipe the tears away and have a dance party alone in your dorm room.

8. "Thank U, Next" by Ariana Grande 

When I first hear this song, my wig flew. Ari really did that. This R&B jam shows Ariana handling a breakup in the best way possible- with nothing but love and gratitude for what her exes have taught her. What a great way to end a relationship-on a positive note.

9. "Shake It Off" by Taylor Swift 

Taylor knows. Players are gonna play, haters are gonna hate, fakers are gonna fake, and the heartbreakers gonna break, but you just have to shake it off. If this song doesn't fill you with happiness even on the darkest days, I don't know what will.