I Made A Playlist Each Month For A Year, It Changed My Life
Music

I Made A Playlist Once A Month For 1 Year And It Changed The Way I Listen To Music

Playlists are great for working out, driving, and hanging out with friends.

545
keyboards and headphones
Kai Pilger from Pexels

Something that has been a major part of my life is creating playlists on Spotify. Once a month, I make a compilation of songs I am listening to for the month. There are some songs that are repeated, but only because these songs resonate longer than a month. I started making playlists from inspiration to listen to different genres of music and branch out my music taste. This helped me tremendously as I discovered new stuff each day and created a mood for how I felt each month. Looking back now, I notice that I can easily fall in love with old stuff but still appreciate the new stuff.

Month 1: Trying New Music

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

Since this was my first time making a playlist, it was weird trying to think of songs I would listen to all the time. However, after listening to other playlists and songs on my own, I was able to form a playlist accustomed to my daily life.

Month 2: Stepping Out Of My Comfort Zone

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

It was weird transitioning into a new month knowing I had to abandon the previous playlist I attached myself to. It only took a few days before I started adding new songs and listening to this playlist consistently for the month. This month, I tried to listen to different bands and songs I wouldn't normally listen to.

Month 3: Probably The Best Playlist I Ever Made

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

I was in my prime with adding songs. I added over 100 songs to this playlist because I was trying to put myself out there and really try something different. This worked in the long run because I was finding new songs left and right. To this day, I still reminisce about how awesome this playlist is. Not to toot my own horn or anything.

Month 4: Feeling More Upbeat

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

This is more of a "funk" playlist inspired by Calvin Harris's release of "Funk Wav. Bounces." This month was full of groovy tunes that amplified the hot waves of summer heat.

Month 5: Moving Away

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

This playlist was interesting to make because I was in the transition of moving away for college. Because I was meeting new people and moving to a different city, I had to find new music. I listened to the music that was playing around me at the time and it helped me adapt to a new environment.

Month 6: BIRTHDAY MONTH!

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

I wanted to make this month special because I was still settling in a new area and I wanted to celebrate the right way. This playlist has a lot of songs because I was trying to shift my music taste to something different. I didn't necessarily do that, but I created memories from this playlist.

Month 7: It's Getting Spooky Here

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

I wanted to implement some spooky beats into this month to get me in the mood for Halloween. In this playlist, I started listening to Miguel and Tory Lanez. I had fun making this playlist.

Month 8: A Thankful November

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

This was a very chill playlist with Diplo and Starrah's release "Imperfections." I was able to do anything while listening to this playlist and was extremely versatile to my everyday life.

Month 9: Not My Strongest Suit

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

With finals, I could not dedicate much time creating a playlist. With probably the smallest amount of songs, I was not proud of this playlist. Dillon Francis's "Hello There" highlighted the month. I knew January would be better ringing in the new year.

Month 10: New Year, New Music

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

I felt like I had to create this hype playlist for the beginning of the year. Most of it being party tunes, I enjoyed playing this for my friends and going back to artists I listened to a lot, especially EDM artists such as Odesza and Chromeo.

Month 11: Bringing Back Old Favorites

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

I am a big fan of The 1975. While I was figuring life stuff out, The 1975 was the only prominent band that could get me through the month. It was also the month of LOVE so I had to implement some soft tunes.

Month 12: Bringing EDM Back, Again

Spotify Playlist

Isabella Milton

This playlist is solely old throwbacks. All essential throwbacks. As I was dealing with midterms and finals coming up, I could not dedicate much time to find new music, so I stuck with the stuff I have loved for years. If you can't tell, Disclosure made a major appearance in this playlist.

If you can't tell, I love music. It makes a major impact in my daily life and it helps me build relationships with the people around me and a way to get to know people better. Music can tell a lot about a person, such as where they come from and what kind of people they are. This year was already a big year in terms of change, so I'm glad I had playlists to document my year as if it were my personal diary that holds special memories.