Plastic Christianity

Plastic Christianity

"I'm fine" just doesn't cut it in the Body.

79
Plastic Christianity
Pixabay.com

"Plastic"
Adjective | \'plas-tik\ | not real or sincere
(Merriam-Webster's Dictionary)

The Body of Christ is comprised of screwed up sinners who have been offered a free gift of grace through faith—that's a simple fact. Not one of us is perfect, and not one of us has everything put together; however, have you ever noticed that, within the Church, most of us live as if we do?

This is what I call "plastic Christianity." Not "plastic" in the sense that it's not genuine, but "plastic" in that it's not sincere. If we understand that the Body of Christ consists of sinners who constantly wage war against their flesh, then why do we insist on acting as if the fallenness of the world does not cause heartache or struggle in our lives? Why do we put on the facade of "I'm fine," when we often are the farthest thing from it?

Whether we are saving face due to pride (seeking to be the "best" Christian in the room) or shame (so afraid of letting people know the real us), "plastic Christianity" plays a detrimental role in our growth individually and communally. When we refuse to confess our struggles to our brothers and sisters in Christ (James 5:16), we hinder the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives—confessing our sins and growing in community with our brothers and sisters is a vital aspect of sanctification as we put down our pride and admit our humanity. By confessing that we are struggling—whether that be with insecurities, anger, or doubt—we are admitting our failings and inviting the Spirit to reshape and remold our lives into the image of Christ.

More than that, however, when we admit that we do not have everything put together, we are giving others the freedom to confess the same. When we live a life of "I'm fine," we create the culture that Believers are somehow immune to hurts, struggles, or sin, and we, therefore, create a barrier for other followers of Christ when they suddenly encounter a struggle of some kind. By giving others the freedom to admit their humanity, we are encouraging the biblical community where followers of Christ get outside of themselves and bear one another's burdens (Galatians 6:2).

I'll admit, I'm the first one to jump to the "I'm fine" answer when asked how I am, or even when confronted by a close brother or sister who can read my emotions and tell when I'm struggling. There's something terrifying about admitting our failings and our struggles, but there is also something so freeing. By sharing my life with people and allowing myself to be known, I have encountered some of the most valuable relationships in my life.

Therefore encourage one another and build one another up. - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Give someone the freedom of speaking second.