Succulent Parenting: Growing Indoors
Nature Animals

Succulent Parenting: Growing Indoors

Add some bright colors and life to your home with minimal effort!

55
Succulent Parenting: Growing Indoors

A little greenery indoors goes a long way. It breaks up the technological and modern monotony most of us have become used to in our homes. Of course, herb gardens and flowers can be a tad finicky and may require more time than we think they are worth. Dead plants darken a room as much as live plants brighten them. That's where succulents come in.

Ask any Pinterest interior designer - succulents are all the rage. They look good AND can be taken care of by even the most apathetic of us. All we have to do is buy them (I know for a fact that Trader Joe's features them right at the entrance of the store), place them where they look pretty, and follow a few simple guidelines that keep them alive.

Well-Drained Soil

media0.giphy.com

All succulents like well-drained soil. What is well-drained soil? It means that the soil is loose enough that it doesn't retain water for long periods. Instead, the water slowly moves through the soil; providing the succulent enough hydration without drowning it. As a succulent parent, remember to avoid glass containers or anything that doesn't allow water to drain. Pro-Fact: If you've ever wondered why gardeners use pots with holes in the bottom, drainage is the reason.

Pro-Tip: Small raised bed containers that fit on windowsills, porch floors, and shelves are known for allowing drainage. They can be used with something underneath to catch the drained water to avoid any messes.

The "Soak and Dry" Method

media2.giphy.com

Succulents prefer watering methods contrary to traditional methods which is why many people kill their succulents. Instead of watering to maintain soil moistness and focusing water around the roots, succulents would rather be soaked and then allowed to dry. It's their affinity for dryness that makes them unique and hardy.

Using a rain can or something similar, succulent parents should pour water over them and soak the dirt thoroughly (not so much that it becomes mud, but enough that the majority of the soil is moist). After watering, they can survive up to 14 days without being watered again. Pro-Tip: This depends on how much sunlight they receive among other factors. Parents should check the soil after 5 days to see how dry it is.

Succulent Lighting

Some prefer more light than others, but most are not big fans of direct sunlight. They thrive in indirect sunlight - another reason succulents are optimum as indoor plants. As long as they are getting some form of sunlight at some point in the day, they will be fine.

The following are some succulents that are very popular to grow indoors.

Sedum Morganianum (Burrito)

This succulent does great in low light environments, but can do just as well in brighter areas. It's important to find a spot and keep it there, though, as it can be fragile.

Haworthia Cuspidata (Star Window Plant)

Renowned for their hardiness, the Star Window Plant is a favorite due to their low-maintenance. Their one kryptonite is soggy soil, so parents need to have soil with good drainage and a matching container if they want to grow this succulent.

Aloe Aristata (Lace Aloe)

Along with reducing skin scarring, Aloe looks wonderful in homes. It's one of the succulents that can't stand bright living, so look to place this plant in areas with less sunlight. Plants do need sunlight, so don't put it in a closet - just ensure it's in a cool area that get some indirect sunlight throughout the day.