Planned Parenthood Shooting – Don't Blame The Rhetoric

Don't Blame the Rhetoric

31

The Planned Parenthood shooting on Friday, November 27th in Colorado Springs disgraces North America and our so-called “freedom.”

Why did the shooter, Robert Dear, do it? He did not agree with the idea of abortions and the American people's freedom to have the choice of one. Why did Al Qaeda attack the US on 9/11? They wanted to “support their political and religious goals in the Middle East and Muslim World” (http://www.911memorial.org/faq-about-911). Both people involved in these attacks had an opposing view, which they justified their destructive actions with. They both had a goal to spread terror.

However, some people are blaming Republicans freedom of diction and connotation on Robert Dear’s terrible actions, when they should be looking at the bigger problem: toleration.

I was watching CNN this morning and Vicki Saporta, the president and CEO of the National Abortion Federation, was talking about how the Republicans rhetoric on anti-abortion will inflame violence and that is why it is important for them to calm their rhetoric. Is freedom of speech not protected by the First Amendment?

People should not have to censor their language because of fear. If you are passionate about your opinion, you should express as boldly as you please. You should always consider your audience when speaking, but you should be as passionate as you feel appropriate in the situation.

I do not feel that Republicans need to tone it done, nor does any other party. Even if I disagree strongly with what a politician says or if I agree strongly, I am not going to impose those views on people, especially not with violence.

In response to the idea that the Republicans were partially responsible for Dear’s actions, Republican candidate Carly Fiorina said, “What I would say to anyone who tries to link this terrible tragedy to anyone who opposes abortion or opposes the sale of body parts is, this is typical left-wing tactics.”

And that is not a right-wing tactic? Both people are using political tactics and are taking away focus on the bigger issue. This isn’t about Democrats, nor Republicans. This is about people tolerating each other, the first thing we learned in school, and the most basic.

I don’t care about your opinion on same sex marriage, religion or abortion. Follow your beliefs in your household and I will follow mine. Obviously we can’t be ignorant to one another’s views, but we do have to listen to them with respect, and we don’t have to agree with them. If we could all try and get into this more flexible mindset, maybe there would be less violence in our country and maybe we could live up to our country’s slogan of “The Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.”