The Five Best Places To Go Hiking Near Holland, Michigan

Take a hike!

3034
Collective Evolution

One of my favorite parts about living in Michigan is the easy access to dozens of hiking spots. Whether you’re looking for deep forests, streams, or grasslands, Michigan has it covered. Listed below are my top five hiking spots near Holland, Michigan.

Riley Trails. Located on the south side of Holland, Riley Trails seems like something out of a children’s book (NARNIA). There are acres upon acres of hiking trails and mountain bike trails. I’ve probably been to the area at least five times and every time I explore somewhere new. Deep forests, wide open plains, and sandy dunes are just some of geographic features it has to offer. My personal favorite part about Riley is the construction of teepees in the middle of the forest. Yep, you heard me right, teepees. Make sure you stumble upon those when you’re there.

Rosy Mound. Although not located in Holland, Rosy Mound is definitely worth the short drive to Grand Haven and the small fee to enter the park. First of all, if you’re looking for a workout, this place is the place for you! There’s so many stairs, your legs will be burning by the time you reach level ground. As a reward for your workout, enjoy the fact that the stairs bottom out into lake Michigan. The views are breathtaking, and you’ll think you’re in a different country, if only for a few hours.

Mt. Pisgha. The stairs are back and better than ever! Don’t be imitated, there’s less stairs here than at the previous location. Although the summit has a great view of Holland State Park (lighthouses, piers, and Lake Michigan), there are actually trails hidden behind the view. If you choose to venture (I strongly urge you to) back into the woods, you will be rewarded with leafy views of Lake Michigan, thick forests, and some much needed quiet despite the proximity to the tourist magnet that is Holland State Park.

Van Raatle Farm Park. This place is a hidden gem. It has at least two entrances, with two completely different landscapes, and two different worlds. One entrance takes you into the forest, a stream runs through it and there’s so many oddities to gaze at. Bridges, poems tacked to trees, and more. The second entrance takes you into an open field that is perfect for stargazing or playing tag, whichever you prefer. Which entrance do I take? Depends on my mood.

Adam’s Landing. Less than five minutes away from Van Raatle, one might wonder why you would need to go to both. But Adam’s Landing is an enigma, even more so than Van Raatle. The park is all grasslands, leading up to a large hill that overlooks the highway, and bodies of water sprinkled throughout with wildlife to match. With the sharp contrast between industry and nature, Adam’s Landing is the perfect juxtaposition of the human world.