The Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting Reverberates With A Dark History

It's almost a reminder of Nazi Germany.

1099
Brendan Scott

With the recent attack on the Jewish community in Pittsburgh, it has to make you think, "What is this world coming to?"

It's hard to imagine that we've reversed in history so far that our polarized nation has attacked so many minorities in the country. When did the "American Dream" turn into white Christians only again? When did it become acceptable to attack people based on their race and religion again?

Squirrel Hill was described as a peaceful place to live. Somewhere where the Jewish population (60% of the town's population) was welcoming and warm to all of Squirrel Hill's inhabitants — not just Jews. It makes me wonder how such a warming population can be attacked by such a disgusting ideology that is anti-Semitism. The basis for attacking another person based off their religion is simply ridiculous. At the end of the day, we're all just people made of flesh and blood; what does creed or race have to do with anything?

We've grown so used to hearing about the objectification of women and the Black Rights Matter movement, but it's been a while since a large attack of anti-Semitism occurred in the nation. I haven't seen it since I've been born. I haven't heard an anti-Semitic attack in person ever, nor have I seen one on social media. Neither have young people in the community. It's been something that most of us thought went away, but I guess not.

A woman in the community described the recent attack as a reminder of Nazi Germany. Is that the America that we're moving towards right now? A nation that was once accepting and the melting pot to a nation that favors a "perfect" white, Christian society? It's heartbreaking to watch us move so much further back in time. These acts are no longer a political issue, but a human issue.

As human beings, are we going to sit back and continue to watch our brothers and sisters of this nation be oppressed and dehumanized simply because they're different from us? It brings about the question of whose responsibility it is to change this. There is no policy that can reform society; only society can reform itself. For too long have we sat by and watched oppression occur in this country. It's been too long that we've enabled this behavior against our counterparts. It's time for us to stand up to this oppression ourselves, not call upon politicians.

So, if you're reading this article heartbroken and angry like I am writing it, I call upon you to stop the persecution of our neighbors, peers and friends by standing up and speaking out. Hopefully, we can progress as a nation instead of regress towards actions that are too fimilar to our history books. Go out, learn from people, hear their stories, know their names and be their friends.

At the end of the day, you never know if it's you next. When you're sitting stagnant in times of despair like this week, remember this:

"First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out — because I was not a socialist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out — because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out — because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me — and there was no one left to speak for me." — Martin Niemöller