Let's Talk About Abortions, Even Though Our Government Won't Listen
Sexual Health

Just because I personally do not think I would ever have one, doesn't mean woman shouldn't have the option to have one.

99
Photo by Wayne Evans from Pexels

You know, I'm sick and tired of feeling as if I am irrelevant. They say that America is a place where you can have a voice. Then why do I feel as if no one is ever heard?

Immigrants move here in hopes of getting that freedom and equality that America prides itself on. But one day you wake up and realize it's all just an illusion. The U.S is all about portraying that we have a voice and a vote. What they mean, is that you can vote for the representation of your "state" and "country." You are just a number. You are just apart of the statistic. The only people with power is our government.

Recently, several states have passed laws that will make abortion illegal. Regardless of my personal beliefs towards this issue, at the end of the day, they don't matter. I can stick by my beliefs, that does not mean that everyone else has to follow my beliefs. I think it's absurd that women no longer have rights over there own body.

I understand the arguments against abortion, but at the end of the day, if you feel that way, awesome — don't get an abortion. Live your own life, but who are you to tell me how to live mine?

I wish that the government would wake up and bring attention to actual issues. Let's talk about the fact that we are killing our planet. Or the fact that guns are still easier to attain than it is to apply for the FAFSA. But instead, we are going to make restrictions on what females can and cannot due. Wow, feels like the 1800s all over again. We have had to fight for our rights to vote, our rights to become educated, our rights to not have to be just "housewives." Now women are going to have to fight for our rights to regain control of our body again.

It is mind-blowing to me that a woman could be pregnant and then denied an abortion. I understand how people can be against it because I am not "for" abortions. The thing is, I say this now. I am a 19-year-old who has no intentions of getting pregnant so of course, I can sit here and defend my belief and say that I would not have an abortion. But I am not going to lie to you. If I did fall pregnant, I do not know what I would actually do. I am not financially stable, I do not have the means to provide for a child, I do not have the time. I am at the point where I can barely care for myself, let alone another human.

I did not want this to be about my beliefs but more the facts. I feel as if we the people are really not heard. I guarantee if you put out a poll to the citizens of the U.S on which issue they would rather us "deal with," it would be the fact that the Earth is dying or the fact that yet another individual went and made a school a shooting range.

For whatever the reason we normalize the trauma and are immune to it.

Oh, studies show by 2030 the world will be completely destroyed because of the human race? Irrelevant.

14 kids died in a school shooting in Florida, let's call their families and allow them to have some protests.

An 11-year-old child is raped and plans to seek an abortion? Absolutely not, she shouldn't have been raped, why can't she just care for it, you want to go to another state and have it aborted? We will put you in jail.

America, wake up. Please.