Pinterest Wedding Vs. Godly Marriage

Pinterest Wedding Vs. Godly Marriage

No, I'm not saying that you can't have both.
81

Okay, so hear me out ladies. I was all about having the Pinterest-perfect wedding. I had the arch that was intertwined with flowers and pearls. I had vintage doors that were strategically placed against trees. I had the pastel candy table and of course the matching bridesmaid's robes. A super fun photo booth that was filled props. I had the ever so cute cookies and milk table and a cupcake ladder. Getting the point yet? I mean, I was full on Pinterest overload.

However, on our wedding day there was a complete downpour of rain. So everything I had spent the last six months planning for went completely down the drain. The spot where we were supposed to say the most important vows of our lives – flooded. Everyone was in full panic mode trying to move the arch, the chairs and those charming vintage doors I was talking about ended up face down in the flooded grass. Therefore, what was supposed to so beautiful and romantic - turned into chaos. So, here I am, totally freaked out and being completely unable to help fix anything. We tried and tried to wait out the rain, but it never stopped. So, we said our best “I do’s” crammed underneath a tent in the pouring rain.

So, the point I want you to take away from all of this is, that I allowed the circumstances of that day to take away what was really the most important thing. I mean, I was about to marry the love of my life, someone who God had handpicked just for me! But I was so caught up in the chaos that I lost focus of the truth within the moments leading up to the wedding. Instead of fixating on all of the great things that were about to take place, I was only worrying out the scenery, the pictures, and the guest. When in all reality it didn’t even matter where we said our “I do’s” only that we did.

From this experience, I have learned that a godly marriage is much more valuable than having a Pinterest-perfect wedding. Do I wish we had beautiful wedding photos that did not include saying our “I do’s” under a tent? Well, I’m sure that anyone would. And am I saying that you can’t have a Pinterest wedding and a godly marriage? Of course not! Just remember that some things are truly out of our control. And if problems occur on that day or if things don’t turn out the way you planned. Just think about the true meaning of marriage because it isn’t always going to be Pinterest-worthy anyways. Set your focus on what a special bond that marriage truly is and how it is was created by our one true God.

“For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her.” Ephesians 5:25

“Therefore a mean shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” Genesis 2:24