Testing Pinterest-Inspired Summer Maxi Style

What happens when you take a small closet and infinite pinterest inspiration and make outfits? Let's find out!

27
Polyvore-allthefashionyou'lleverneed

As we approach the beginning of school- and embrace more of the summer heat- I am going through my closet and storing what is going to be too warm for me to wear (as well as purging a few things as I usually do at the end of every season.)

And while summer may be my second favorite season, summer contains what may be my favorite clothing staple. It has remained in fashion for the last few years, and I don't see it going away any time soon.

The maxi skirt. The easiest thing to dress up or dress down. The loose, comfortable alternative to pants we all so desperately needed. The article of clothing that handles several jobs: keeping me cool and shielding my ghostly white legs from getting burnt (I don't tan I burn and it pains me). I also prefer maxi skirts to dresses often because they tend to be more modest- which is closer to my personal style.

But the best thing I love about maxi skirts is that they look good on everyone: tall, short, fat and fabulous, thin and fabulous, man, woman, lizard, etc. And you can style them for pretty much any occasion and any style preference.

Maxi skirts are just life okay? Okay. (yes I did just make that reference #notashamed)

While I love the maxi skirt, I have always been rather simple in how I styled it. So I decided to go on an adventure! And try new things.

I found some things on pinterest, and decided to recreate them with things from my own closet... Granted, I only have two maxi skirts because while I love them I am also poor af.

SO with my limited closet I have done my best to recreate some pinterest looks. Let's see if it is successful....

*I am a curvy, fat girl so some of these are a little weird for me but let's try something new!!

1.) Maxi Skirt + T-shirt

This is by far my perfected way to wear the maxi skirt. The green one I have was a very good investment piece and I wear it all the time. I usually pair it with a basic black T-shirt and a fun pendant. So great for easy, everyday wear. Pair with a messy bun or simple hair and you are good to go.

2.) Festival Style

Who doesn't love some festival style?? It's so fun and whimsical, which is very much my style. I tried to go for more of an evening concert vibe with the sparkly top, and I paired it with a sparkly headband I had on hand. I really dig this look. Please ignore my no makeup face, but I loved LOVED this headband.

3.) Wait It's a Dress??

This I was a little hesitant about, but I am in love after trying on this outfit!! It's such a great way to mix up your wardrobe, and now my maxi skirt is now almost a midi skirt- which I am sadly lacking in my wardrobe. I did this with a favorite flannel and some simple flats.

Now for some styles I wasn't quite sure about!

4.) Layered Maxi

I've seen a pictures of people wearing sweaters, long cardigans, and scarves with their maxis, so I tried it and I'm not sure how I feel. It feels very bulky and slightly uncomfortable. Not the biggest fan. I used a thick cardigan and a green skirt.

5.) Color Blocking

Just. No. Nope. Nein.

(I had nothing to do this one with and that green shirt and skirt was the best I could do and it looks like poop. Lolz)

6.) Leather Chic

Leather jacket with the skirt is love. I love this combination! So comfortable and I felt so stylish. A+. I used a stripped maxi skirt with black everything else XD

7.) Chambray

Also love this! I am a huge fan of chambray with almost anything and I couldn't believe I hadn't done this before. It is such an easy way to look stylish, and it is so comfortable.

8.) Knot Your Average Maxi

This was also super fun to try!! The stripes on this skirt look slightly awkward when knotted, and the fabric was slightly off but overall I love this look; though I don't think the skirts I have worked well with this style. I would totally try it again, with a different skirt.... If I ever get the money for a different skirt.

Looking through Pinterest or the internet in general can provide a great deal of inspiration. Adapting images to your present wardrobe is half the fun.

Get out there and be inspired!