Excerpts From A Graduation Speech Everyone Needs To Hear

Life is tough, but so are you!

21
Catherine Miller

1. Something that I’m confident in saying, is that all of us have struggled with not feeling like we were the best anymore.

Not everyone is born with confidence bubbling out of them, for some it takes practice and dedication. As life goes on and time passes your self esteem level can change, a lot. We go through highs and lows and can sometimes feel like we're on top of the world. Everything is going perfect until someone comes along and outshines you or makes you feel like you're inferior at something you thought you were good at. Be happy with your own performance, actions, and decisions. And always remember to put your own opinion before everyone else's.

2. It’s not always easy to stand out, but everyone has that one thing that makes them different, their defining feature. This quality can be one that you don't even know you possess, but to everyone around you it seems like an essential part of who you are.

Being unique and being yourself is one of the greatest things that you can be. When someone is genuine it makes them easier to trust and more fun to be around. Own up to your actions and be unapologetically bold. There is a quote that goes something like, "if you don't respect yourself how would you expect anyone else around you to?" Respect every part of yourself, even the parts you don't like. Practice loving yourself and the world around you. Be you and don't let anyone try to convince you that you deserve less than you do.

3. I've learned something over the past few years from watching the sunset. Life is all about perspective. Depending on where you're standing the sunset can look completely different. As someone is watching the sun set, another is watching it rise. How you view situations that arise in your life can completely change how you handle and feel towards it.

A lot of times people do things to get a reaction out of another person. Our initial response is to react to what's going on around us instead of looking at it from an outside perspective and thinking about what we should do next. We get mad, we jump to conclusions, we get upset, we overreact, and we overthink. All of these can lead to a life full of stress and unhappiness. I live by the quote, "can't go backwards." I found myself saying this a lot and it really has saved me a lot of times. After something happens always think about what you'll do next and how you'll move on instead of replaying what happened, thinking about all the "what ifs."

4. People grow close and drift apart but we should never regret any relationship we have had because at one point it was exactly what we needed.

We all have a couple people that have always been there, some people that fade in and out, friends that have stabbed us in the back, and new acquaintances that will end up becoming a few of our closest friends. I've had my fair share of well, frankly put, shitty friendships. People aren't always who you think they are and people can change. Maybe it was you that changed for the better or maybe it was their immaturity you thought they would grow out of that doesn't seem like it's going anywhere now. Either way you don't mesh like you used to and that is okay. Some friends have an expiration date. Never forget what you learned from them, the good memories you had with them, or the lessons you took from how your friendship came to a close. Everything happens for a reason.

5. Some people think making a fool out of yourself is a bad thing, but to me it shows how close you can get to others.

This one is for everyone that's shy at first but once they break out of their shell are the funniest, loudest people around. Personally, I'm not easily embarrassed now but I wasn't always the person I am today. There used to be a self conscious, self critical, self loathing voice in my head which unfortunately had an influence on every word that came out of my mouth, every decision that I made, or even every outfit that I wore. Once you push that voice out life really does change. I have never been as comfortable with myself as I am right now and that is because that voice is gone. It was replaced by something that loves making a fool out of myself no matter where I am, says "who cares" a lot, and doesn't believe in overthinking. Find that something.

6. Remember that we all see the same sun and that no matter how difficult the struggle is the sun will always rise again.

My high school history teacher wrote in my yearbook, "life is tough, but so are you" and that is something that stuck with me. Everyone goes through obstacles in their lives that they feel will never pass. Heartbreak, losing a loved one, addiction, failing a class, what ever it may be, but what they fail to realize is that life goes on and things will get better. If it won't matter in two months, let it go. Let go as much excess as you can and try to make life simple. Be humble, we were all put on this earth to love and to be loved.