8 Basic Rules of Photography Etiquette
Photography Videography

8 Basic Rules Of Photography Etiquette

Just because you have a digital camera does not mean you can do whatever you want with it.

134
8 Basic Rules Of Photography Etiquette
Lexi Link

Photography is up and on the rise these days and with phone cameras becoming more and more elaborate and digital cameras becoming cheaper everyone thinks they can buy a camera and be an amazing photographer. That may be the case sometimes. You may have a natural talent for it and if you do that is great but most people starting out have no idea how to act. Just because you have a digital camera does not mean you can do whatever you want with it.

Most people will read this and think oh this is common sense but you would be surprised how many people don't know any of these things. So please if you are just starting out as a photographer or maybe you have been one for years make sure you are being respectful and know these 8 basic rules.

Permission: Get it!

One of the traps that many photographers fall into — especially amateurs just starting out — is that they believe having a digital camera is some sort of license to just take everyone's picture. Well, guess what? It's not. Asking permission can be awkward, yes, but it protects you legally and the people you are shooting.

Respect people and their surroundings 

Respect people, respect property. Respecting people is about agreeing to their wishes. If they do not want to be photographed, then put the camera away and find another subject. No means No it's not that complicated.

Be discrete 

No-one likes a loud mouth or a show-off. Whether it is yelling about the amazing image you have just taken or carry far more expensive gear around your neck than you really need, being indiscrete wins you no friends. More than likely the event isn't about you so don't make it.

Have an understanding of your environment 

Understand the culture of both the people and place that you are shooting. Research any place you are going and truly understand how they are going to react to you, not only as a photographer but also as a person. Make sure you know the rules what you can and can't photograph, make sure you are being respectful of other people and their culture.

Be considerate of other photographers 

This is common sense but you would be surprised how many times I have seen other photographers get in the way of each other or try to shoot over each other. Don't be that guy, you will make enemies real quick. If you are not the paid photographer at an event or are not there as a part of the press do NOT shoot over other photographers or try to get in their way just because you have a digital camera too. People hire certain photographers for a reason don't be disrespectful to them.

Give warning 

This not only helps the people around you but you as well. Giving warning to the people around you not only is showing them respect for what they may be doing but it also lets them know what you are doing so they are careful not to disturb you. No one likes being disturbed while they are working so make sure to give other's the same respect you would want them to give you.

Dress appropriately 

I think this one is self-explanatory, but just in case, dress appropriately for what you are shooting. If you are shooting a wedding don't dress as a guest but dress professionally. If you are shooting in a foreign country make sure to respect their dress code and their culture.

Not every event is a marketing opportunity 

We have all been to an event and thought wait let me get my camera this would look great in my portfolio but not every event needs to be like that. When you are attending something as a guest or a spectator then leave the camera at home and enjoy the event yourself. You don't need to have your camera for everything, besides I doubt you have asked for permission to shoot there too.

Take this tips into consideration before exploring the world with your camera! I promise that if you follow these you will not have any difficulty shooting at different places.