good comes out of senseless jokes
Politics

The Good That Came Out Of Pete Davidson's Senseless Joke

"I'm sorry, I know he lost his eye in war, or whatever..." - Pete Davidson

166

There has always been a huge issue with bullying and pointing out obvious things that'll hurt people. Maybe it's someone's weight, a lazy eye, a scar, a missing limb... A lot of the time it's something that someone is unable to control or change.

A situation like this one happened very recently on a huge T.V show called "Saturday Night Live." Most people know exactly what that show is and millions tune in every Saturday night to watch. On the weekend of November 5th, Pete Davidson decided to do something that would cause a lot of anger and arguments throughout the country. He did a skit in which he gave his first opinion of the candidates, and that included Dan Crenshaw, a former Navy SEAL that lost his eye in a bomb explosion while in Afghanistan.

It's not a secret as to why this would cause an issue for the show and for Pete. As a veteran, he has a lot of respect in America for his service because he risked his life, and even more, he was permanently injured in the line of duty. Pete does have a unique sense of humor and it's typically on the darker side, but most people said he was far too in the wrong this time.

During the storm, nearly everyone on both sides came together in agreement. Dan won the election, and in a newer episode of "S.N.L", Pete apologized right before Dan made a guest appearance;

"I mean this from the bottom of my heart: I made a poor choice of words," Davidson said Saturday night, in his return to the "Weekend Update" desk. "He is a war hero and deserves all the respect in the world. And if any good came of it, it's that for one day, the left and right finally came together to agree on something: that I'm a (jerk)."
"Ya think?" said Crenshaw as he walked out for a surprise appearance, earning cheers from the "SNL" studio audience. "Thanks for making a Republican look good."

Dan accepted Pete's apology, and they went on to continue the show.

This was an important moment for a lot of reasons. For Dan, there was a massive amount of supporters. Other veterans came to his defense and proudly showed off their battle wounds. What they had to go through for this country is not a punchline to a pathetic joke, and they wanted to make it apparent.

Another important moment was that Pete spoke up and apologized for what he said. He didn't sweep it under the rug, he came out and admitted he was wrong.

It also showed what an amazing person that Dan Crenshaw was. He didn't want an apology, he just cared for what he and the other veterans had to go through.

Overall, the joke was terrible and never should have been said, but a lot of good came out of it.