5 Pet Peeves I Have About Writing

5 Pet Peeves I Have About Writing

It honestly hurts sometimes.

9
5 Pet Peeves I Have About Writing
Mark T. Hardy II

Okay, so this week's article is going to be much different from the previous. Yeah, I know, right? Finally, I won't be writing complaints I've been having about school, or all of the philosophical epiphanies that usually stem from them. No, I won't be putting y'all through anything like that this time. Instead, I'll be talking about something a bit more simple. This week, I'll be complaining about things I dislike about writing--oh yeah, it's TOTALLY different, trust me!

I've been writing for Odyssey for a while now, and have been writing essays, novels, poems, and analyses for even longer. So it's high time I laid out to all of you some of the things I've come to notice during this time frame and ultimately became annoyed with.

1. Word Count Can Suck It!

There is nothing more cruel and beneficial than putting a word limit on a writer. We writers are very affable individuals and thrive the most when we can express ourselves to the fullest with words. This passion cannot be fully realized if there's always a 500-1000 word limit on whatever it is that we're writing about. I mean, seriously! I get that sometimes, too many words is too much, or doesn't really contribute to the intended message, but that isn't always the case. Sometimes, writers just have a lot to say and when they aren't able to express that freedom the way they want to...well. let's just say that's when bad things start to happen. I can't even really go into detail as to what could happen because each response to this restriction is so different. One writer could take it perfectly fine and go on with their lives, while another could become incredibly stressed because it means they'll have to significantly condense their work. Then there are those that go completely bonkers and start lighting crap on fire and throwing it at people! What was that? Too drastic? Well, I DID say that every reaction was different!

2. Overabundance of Personification

Everyone loves to imagine certain scenes in literary works. From the ways in which the thousands of leaves can dance along the spiraling wind, unrelenting in their journey until they finally land atop of the mirror-like pond beneath the autumn tree from which they fell; to the first crystal drop of icy rain falling from the darkened cloud above, preparing to unleash its heavy burden and envelop the world in its misty gray veil. Personification has always been a fun thing to use, but at times, it can become overused. Typically, and this is just for me, whenever I use personification, it's to describe a specific event or place, establishing the overall mood for whatever it is that I'm writing. Then you have these writers that go all out and describe EVERY little thing in precise detail! No, I don't care how his eyes sparkled like the sun, or that her glass bowl glistened like the moon, just get to the point, already!

3. More Show than Tell, Seriously?

Some of you have probably been told this a lot by your teachers, to which, I simply must ask...why? I mean, I get that some people want to find thing out in a more visual-oriented manner, but there's only so much of that we writers can do! It's called story TELLING for a reason, is it not? If you want a more visual take on something, go see a movie or something! Sheesh!

4. Rhyming Hurts My Soul

To all you poets out there, I apologize for this in advance. I cannot stand rhyming poems, nor can I really stand writing them. Whenever I have to write a poem, it feels like a part of myself, the creative part, is trying to flee the scene. It's not so much the rhyming itself--anyone can rhyme--as much as it is the timing and placement of the rhyme. You can't just end two phrases with words like "send" and "attend," oh no! You have to figure out what each of those ending words mean and how they advance the overall story the poem is trying to tell. So much thought goes into this sort of thing and it drives me nuts sometimes!

5. Over-analyzing What Could Actually Just be a Simple Tale

This one is a biggie for me, and I know it is for some of you guys too. I also know that a question like this is probably the worst thing you could ever say to your literature professor--seriously, I want one of you to tell your professor this at some point and see what they say or do! Anyway, have you ever come across a story that had a pretty simple, and easy to follow plot, likable characters and a satisfying conclusion, only to have all of that ruined by what you've been taught in school throughout the years, how EVERY story isn't what they seem, and you wind up over analyzing everything instead for fear of getting something wrong? Doesn't that just tear at your heart? It's happened to me too many times to count, particularly whenever I'm writing an analysis on some essay and am having to invest so much time, energy, sweat and tears into it.

Well alright, I'd say that's it for my little tangent this week. Hopefully, I was able to connect with at least a few of you, since you took the time to read all of this! There are so many more pet peeves that I have, but these ones are the five mains. If you think of any more, feel free to let me know about them!