Want Some Perspective? Think About Your Own Death.

7 tips for living your life with the end in mind.

29
Person running through graveyard

It may be morbid, but if you want some much-needed perspective in life, it is sometimes essential to think about your death. Here are some tips:

Accept It

When it comes to life, one thing is certain: we are all going to die at some point. As scary as this may seem, it is simply an inescapable fact. Some of us will see it coming, and to others, it will be a surprise, but let's face the facts and acknowledge that it is going to happen. Why not accept it now and make the most of what time we have left? Accepting that it is going to happen whether we want it to or not really is the first step to a "good death."

Make a Bucket List

Making a bucket list is a great way to add meaning to your life. Some common ideas include exploring unseen places, meeting different people and getting to know their different cultures, and even trying new cuisine. Feeling spontaneous? Why not get adventurous with an adrenaline boost! Shoot your first gun, go skydiving, and take the plunge (literally) with bungee jumping. Even if you are not planning to die anytime soon, it is still a great way to make goals and give your life a sense of direction as you move towards the finish line. At the end of it all, you will be relieved to look back at all the chances you were willing to take and the memories you made in the process.

Make Amends

No one wants to die with remorse, especially when it comes to holding grudges. The point behind making amends before your death is actually out of consideration for your loved ones, and not just for yourself. Regardless of what it is you've been fighting about, hanging onto resentment or spite is a sure-fire way to leave the people who care about you hanging onto regrets and words left unsaid for long after you're gone. Have an open conversation, get what you both need to off your chests, and move on. Not only will this leave things on a good note, but it will also give you a better legacy.

Plan Your Own Funeral

It's never too early to let people know your wishes when it comes to your death. Are you opposed to being buried? Do you want your ashes scattered somewhere special? Going as far as planning your own funeral can be an exercise worth embarking on. Be sure to put it in writing and make copies for a few trusted family members or friends to hold onto. Better yet, create a will.

Put Your Legal Ducks in a Row

While it may not seem particularly exciting, ensuring that the legal aspects of your death are in proper order is arguably one of the most important aspects leading up to your death. For starters, putting together a will is essential. Designating what is going to happen with your property and other belongings is extremely important, but so is making sure it is legitimate. It will need to be notarized, and you will need to decide who is going to execute it. It is never too early to plan this - there are different types of wills, so consulting legal counsel on the matter may not be the worst idea, regardless of what stage you feel you are in your life.

Helping People After Your Death

If you're looking for a way to continue to help others even after you have died, and the solution can be found in organ donation. In the United States alone, there are currently thousands of people waiting for a transplant, and statistically, over 25% of those who are waiting will not live long enough to get a transplant of their own. As long as it doesn't overstep with your own personal values, deciding to give someone your organs that would otherwise go unused is the ultimate gift to give. However, if you are in a situation where you are unable to donate your organs, you are still able to help after your death. Consider donating your money, clothes, or other belongings to a charitable foundation. Even one item is still enough to make a difference in someone else's life.

Reminisce

Take your death with a grain of salt and allow your life to flash before your eyes in a slower, non-traditional sense. When you think about it, your life has been a working series of memories and experiences. It is perfectly okay to look back on the bad times, but the key is to look at the harder times as "lessons." When reminiscing on the different aspects of your life, take those lessons into consideration and use them to reflect on what you were able to gain from your trial. Move into a more positive key and reflect on all the good times you've been able to enjoy. You've truly lived a great life - now here's to a good ending to it.