Your Personality Type Is Important, So Here's What You Need To Know About Yours

Do you know what your personality is?

72
Timothy Paul Smith / Unsplash

Everyone is unique and has their own personality, and while this might be an obvious statement, sometimes it is easy to forget. I, myself, have recently been learning a lot about my own personality type and have found that it is really important to know why you are a certain way.

I think it is especially easy to get caught up in little forms of peer pressure in life, like participating in things that you don't find particularity fun to please those around you, whether it's going to a party or a musical.

Bottom line is: if you are doing something that you don't feel like yourself doing, you probably shouldn't do it. Don't worry about pleasing those around you when your mental health is at risk; you need to make it a priority. This is a REALLY hard lesson to learn, but you have to do it for your own sanity.

You can take the test to learn your personality here.

After you take the test, you will get a result of four different letters. I will break down what each one means, so you can get a better idea of what they all mean. But I encourage anyone to talk about it with someone in person so you can get a better understanding of what makes you you!

The first letter will be either E (extroversion) or I (introversion). Extroverts will normally be someone who gets their energy from being around groups of people, while an introvert is the exact opposite. Although that doesn't mean that introverts have a harder time interacting with others, it just means that introverts don't normally like to be the center of the spotlight. Our culture actually leans more to extroverts, and the word "introvert" will sometimes receive a negative connotation (especially in middle school through college). That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, though.

The second letter focuses on S (sensing) or I (intuition). This is the method in which someone perceives information. A sensing type will tend to believe information they receive from the external world. Intuitive people will take the imaginative/internal world into account when taking in information.

The third letter will tell you T (thinking) and F (feeling). This focuses on the way that someone might process information. A thinking type will answer with a more logical response, while a feeling type will think more about emotions and react based off of them.

The fourth and final letter tells you if you are J (judging) or P (perceiving), and this is how someone puts all the information they receive into action. Someone who is a judging type will organize all of their life events and will probably feel more productive when they plan things in advance. A perceiving type thrives off of improvising and exploring alternative options.

I personally believe that it is important to take everyone's different personality types into consideration because in the end, not everyone is going to be like you and love the same things as you. But that is OK!