Why You Should Be “That Person” Who Takes Pictures of Their Food

I refused to be shamed for wanting my meal to be recorded for posterity’s sake, or my camera roll’s sake, or MAYBE a cute Insta post.

224

On a recent outing for a meal that landed somewhere between breakfast and lunch but wasn’t cute or planned enough to be called “brunch,” a friend and I decided to try a new gourmet bagel spot. As I waited for my name to be called at the counter, I let the smells of toasting everything bagels and the store’s signature fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies waft over me. Seemingly nothing would stop me from human-vacuum-cleaner-ing my bagel sandwich the very second it graced my fingertips. Or so I thought, until I was presented with a sandwich that looked as good as it smelled (and presumably tasted). I immediately whipped out my phone with the intent of documenting this beautiful moment.

“Really? You’re going to be that person?” I heard as I looked up to an incredulous stare from my friend.

My immediate defensiveness shook me out of my carb-induced tunnel vision bliss. What “person” was I being? The one who was about to dive into a bomb bagel sandwich? Was there some sort of mystical bagel-eating archetype I was unaware of? I refused to be shamed for wanting my meal to be recorded for posterity’s sake, or my camera roll’s sake, or MAYBE a cute Insta post.

Perhaps you might relate to this moment, and have found yourself the subject of ridicule in the past for making the most of your dining experiences. Well, reader, put down the shame and pick up the camera phone because here are five reasons why we all should really be “that person” who takes snaps of our meals:

Because food is art.

It’s called the culinary arts for a reason. And it’s okay to take pictures of art. Just look how many tourists cram around the Mona Lisa.

Because food will never look as good as it does when it’s first plated.

It’s like taking cute pictures with your friends before going out partying––You know that as soon as you get picked up by that metaphorical fork (okay, Uber) you will never look as good as you did when you were fresh out of the kitchen (bathroom).

Because cute food doesn’t come cheap.

The trendier the food, the prettier the penny. Sure, you could buy a 25 cent pack of ramen and ¼ pound of beef, but what fun is that? Going out and trying something new may put a dent in your wallet and the ramen burgers and tornado fries might only last for 15 minutes but the VSCO photo you now have will live on for eternity.

Because you’re on a diet.

Want to keep track of what you eat? Whether you’re trying to stay fit or get fit, some diets suggest food-tracking to maintain healthy habits.

Because you FRICKIN’ want to.

Don’t let anyone dictate how you can or cannot express your creativity. If you want to artfully arrange your garnish so that it gives your composition that perfect pop of color, DO IT! You go, you DIY Bon Appétit Magazine, you.