Perks Of Going To A Small School

Perks Of Going To A Small School

It's lovely going home and knowing it's home. {anne of green gables}

9
Perks Of Going To A Small School
Central College

t's the question we all tire of answering during our senior year of high school, and even after we have an answer, sometimes we're still not sure. Big college or small college? Out of state or just down the road? I picked a small college, and I'm so glad I did.

1. You can sleep in very late and still make it to class on time.

It takes me 7 minutes max to walk across campus to slide into my desk just before the lecture starts.

2. The president of your college doesn't hide away in his office.

No, he actually cheers in the student section of sporting events, attends the musicals and plays, and sings in the talent shows. He drives around in golf carts offering rides, hands out hot chocolate in the winter, and jumps in the pond for homecoming. How many people at a big university can say that their president wears red and white striped overalls at the football games?

3. Strong sense of community.

Even if I don't know everyone on campus, I know a lot of them, and those that I don't know, I recognize. On my way to class, at least three or four people say hi to me, sometimes more. It's nice to feel like I am more than a number on a campus. Coming together for different events in the community is much more fun with a tight-knit group of people.

4. Small class sizes.

Most classrooms seat about 30 people, but even then, it's rarely all the way full. I really get to know my classmates and am challenged to work with people outside of my inner circle. Because of the smaller class sizes, the professors know who I am and are able to dedicate more of their time to helping me with my projects and class work. I can give my professor a 15 paged draft of my research paper and he can have it edited for me the next day or actually sit down with me to walk through what I can do to improve. I wouldn't get that kind of personalized help at a big university.

5. You don't know everyone on campus, but you know a lot of them.

Like I said earlier, it's nice to feel like more than a number. Dinner in the market, even though we all have our own "tables", sometimes feels like a giant family dinner. We interact with those around us and aren't confined to just one group of people.

6. You're not just a number.

Professors that I've never even had in class know who I am. They want me to succeed and do all they can to ensure that I am reaching my fullest potential. Would the head of dining services at a large university send out music videos around the holiday season showcasing the meals we will be served? Would the president of the college pencil in golf cart rides with students just to chat? Would professors invite you to their home for a home-cooked meal? At a small school, I'm not just a number.