It's Time To See The Perfection In Your Imperfections—Let's Give Ourselves A Little More Credit

"We might not be perfect, but there is beauty in those imperfections. We might not be the best, but we sure are trying..."

18
Ashley Oldham

I truly believe that it is all too simple for people to get caught up in an endless cycle of believing that there is something wrong with them. I believe that is all too simple for people to believe that their imperfections are a defining part of their personality—or an inherently bad part of their personality.

I believe that we need to stop falling into the trap of negative beliefs and feelings about ourselves. I believe that we need to recognize the bad, address it, and move forward—doing what might be necessary to work on it, but not letting our entire lives revolve around parts of ourselves that we don't like.

When it comes down to it, these parts of ourselves that we define as "imperfect" likely aren't as imperfect as we wrongly give them credit for. It's ridiculously simple for me to fall into the cycle of self-judgement, seeing things wrong with the way I interact with others, the way that I appear to others, the way that I look—the list goes on.

The list needs to stop, though.

I think it's time for us to see the perfections in these assumed "imperfections." I think it's time to give ourselves a little more credit.

Maybe it's just because it's my senior year of college, or maybe it's just because I've had a fairly constant cloud of stress and things to do hanging over my head these past few months, but I think I've been calling myself out on supposed imperfections a little more than I logically should. I've been falling into that cycle of self-doubt and self-judgement—and I'm starting to see the faults in that. I'm starting to see that doubting myself, and seeing my faults isn't helpful, but giving myself more credit, building myself up when I have a lot to do?

That's a game changer.

It's time that we start giving ourselves credit where credit is due. It's time that we start to focus on all of our positive aspects, to build ourselves up when we're stressed and feeling down. It's time for us to stop focusing on the negatives.

We might not be perfect, but there is beauty in those imperfections. We might not be the best, but we sure are trying our hardest—and I think that counts for more than we might think.