It's The Perfect Time For Latin Music

It's The Perfect Time For Latin Music

Why now is the best time for the latin music culture to be all over mainstream music in 2019.

110
It's The Perfect Time For Latin Music
Derick G, courtesy of Rogers & Cowan Publicity

Music styles tend to change a lot throughout the years just with the style of the times but one genre has been getting more and more popular by the day.

For the past few years or so, Latin music has been topping the American mainstream charts and dominating streaming on services like Spotify.

Some of today's biggest artists include a lot of Latin music artists. Some of the biggest mainstream artists in the world have released songs that have catered to this style of music.

In my opinion, the popularity of Latin music in America took off about two years ago in 2017.

Canadian singer Justin Bieber released a remix of a song by Puerto Rican singer Luis Fonsi and Puerto Rican rapper Daddy Yankee called "Despacito".

With the remix version eventually getting number one on the Billboard's Hot 100, it was the first song to be mostly sung in Spanish to top this chart since 1996, and in various countries all over the world.

Critics have ranked it as one of the best Latin songs of all time, credited it as one of the most successful Spanish-language songs in pop music history, and called it to be instrumental in making Spanish-language pop music in the mainstream music market popular again.

Another popular remix of a Spanish-language song was released in 2017 that I believe was also a huge push for making Latin music more popular.

In September of that year, American singer BeyoncƩ released a remix of a song by Colombian singer J Balvin and French musician

Willy William called "Mi Gente". While the original version did very well with topping the charts in numerous countries on its own, the remix reached number one on the US Hot Latin Songs and US Digital Songs charts.

On a lot of these charts, it made "Mi Gente", alongside "Despacito", as the first time in the Hot 100 chart history for two mostly Spanish-language singles to appear in the top 10 together.

Since then, Latin music has really taken off and seems to be getting more and more popular by the day.

We hear more Latin-flavored music by mainstream artists like the hit singles "Havana" by Camila Cabello and "I Like It" by Cardi B which was the first Latin-trap song to reach a number on the Billboard Hot 100.

Other mainstream artists are hopping on remixes of popular Latin songs like Katy Perry with Daddy Yankee's "Con Calma", Alicia Keys with Puerto Rican singer Pedro CapĆ³'s "Calma" and Nicki Minaj/Travis Scott with Puerto Rican singer Farruko's "Krippy Kush".

Recently, I have really got into Latin music. The music is just so infectious and just makes you want to dance all night long.

My favorite artists right now would have to be Brazilian singer Anitta and American singer/rapper Becky G.

You may know Becky G from her hit single "Shower" but for the past three years or so she has been primarily releasing for the Latin music audience.

Some songs I would recommend by her would be "Booty" and "Zooted". Anitta is a popular singer in her home country of Brazil with several hit albums.

In the past couple of years, she has been trying to establish a worldwide career. In April 2019, she released her fourth studio album and first trilingual visual album titled "Kisses".

Some of my favorite songs off the album include "Get To Know Me", "Poquito", and "Banana" which is a collaboration with Becky G

Latin music is getter more and more popular by the day. It's a music trend that I believe will be here for a while.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a beautiful genre of music and language, like Spanish, is getting popular at the same time where we have political figures wanting to essentially get rid of a whole culture from our country.

If you haven't caught up with the music trends in the past few years then Latin music is definitely one you need to hop on.