The Perfect Playlist for School Reading

The Perfect Playlist for School Reading

Bored of reading for classes? Look no further than this mass playlist for different reads!

25
The Perfect Playlist for School Reading

Summer might be on the horizon, but in no time it'll be back to the old grind of school work and required reading. And though required reading is important to the high school curriculum, it can get boring really quickly, especially if you have no interest in the book whatsoever. But what is one thing that can make just about anything more interesting? That's right, music. A catchy song can make a boring book more lively and influence you to analyze the story, something that any English teacher will force you to do. Click here to find the perfect playlist for school reading.

1. Romeo and Juliet - "Love Story" by Taylor Swift

Ah Romeo and Juliet, the classic Shakespearean tale of two star-crossed lovers. At some points in the script, Romeo and Juliet is action packed, and filled to the brim with tension and action, but at other times the scenes seem to drone on and on. But Taylor Swift can make anyone dance, and since her songs are all themed around love, it's the perfect match for Romeo and Juliet (especially since the video for Love Story was a retelling of it). I'll even throw in Mine, Enchanted, Starlight, Sparks Fly and Treacherous, just to spice it up.

2. The Great Gatsby - "24K Magic" by Bruno Mars

The roaring twenties was a time for dancing, partying, and most importantly, music. The Great Gatsby depicts a writer following the lifestyle of the rich while writing it all down for the world to read. 24K Magic is all about having the greatest night possible and blowing cash, something that reflects the actions of characters in The Great Gatsby. To make the playlist better, I'll add all the songs from Bruno's 24K Magic Album.

3. The Most Dangerous Game - "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

The Most Dangerous Game is really only a short story, but with how long it is, the word 'short' is practically arbitrary. The Most Dangerous Game takes place in the past as well, but I thought Bohemian Rhapsody fits quite well into the mood of the main character Rainsford throughout the story. First starting out quietly and calmly before ending with a bang, Bohemian Rhapsody reflects the action and emotion seen in The Most Dangerous Game.

4. Catcher in the Rye - "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" Panic! at the Disco

Holden Caufield from Catcher in the Rye views the world in a cold and dark way, and is disgusted by the world around him. Holden's views fit in perfectly with the music that most people would call emo, like Panic! at the Disco. I Write Sins Not Tragedies starts out with the singer breaking apart a wedding because of the bride's infidelity, something that Holden would certainly do. To reflect the 'emo' theme even more, add some Twenty One Pilots and Fall Out Boy, and you've got a match made in heaven.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird - "Brave" By Sara Bareilles

Yes, Brave can be an annoying song when listed to too many times, but it does reflect one of the themes in To Kill a Mockingbird. Brave empowers people to stand up and take risk, something that Scout, Jem and Atticus do over the course of the novel. Another song that could fit To Kill a Mockingbird could be Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson, which has the same meaning as Brave.

6. The Crucible - "Before He Cheats" Carrie Underwood

One of the big pieces of The Crucible is getting revenge on a past lover, which is exactly what happens in the song Before He Cheats. The song and story depict a jealous girl doing terrible things to sabotage their ex lover's life after being dumped. Revenge is a big part of both the song and The Crucible, and when the jealousy and need for revenge comes to fruition, both do terrible things to their ex-lovers. Though, one of them does go a bit farther than the other. Many of Carrie and Taylor Swift's other cheating songs could get you through this long haul of a book.