People Want Jesse Williams Fired From "Grey's Anatomy" Over What?

"Do not promote empty people & their tantrums. Pure clickbait to gain followers, attention & money, for themselves, not you. Never you."

9
People Want  Jesse Williams Fired From "Grey's Anatomy" Over What?
US Magazine

On June 26th, the BET awards premiered. There were performances from Beyonce to Usher, but there was one particular person who stole the whole show. That was Jesse Williams. Jesse Williams is an actor, best known for his role in "Grey's Anatomy" as Dr. Jackson Avery. Before becoming an actor Williams was a high school teacher. Jesse Williams is also a very well know activist. He is a part of The Advancement Project, advocacy and civil rights group. He also released a documentary called "Stay Woke: The Black Lives Matter Movement."

BET awarded Williams the Humanitarian Award, and his acceptance speech was pure magic. He touched upon violence and struggles that minorities face. This speech was so powerful I have to include the full transcript of his speech:

"Peace, peace. Thank you, Debra. Thank you, BET. Thank you Nate Parker, Harry and Debbie Allen for participating in that .

Before we get into it, I just want to say I brought my parents out tonight. I just want to thank them for being here, for teaching me to focus on comprehension over career, and that they make sure I learn what the schools were afraid to teach us. And also thank my amazing wife for changing my life.

Now, this award – this is not for me. This is for the real organizers all over the country – the activists, the civil rights attorneys, the struggling parents, the families, the teachers, the students that are realizing that a system built to divide and impoverish and destroy us cannot stand if we do.

It’s kind of basic mathematics – the more we learn about who we are and how we got here, the more we will mobilize.

Now, this is also in particular for the black women in particular who have spent their lifetimes dedicated to nurturing everyone before themselves. We can and will do better for you.

Now, what we’ve been doing is looking at the data and we know that police somehow manage to deescalate, disarm and not kill white people everyday. So what’s going to happen is we are going to have equal rights and justice in our own country or we will restructure their function and ours.

Now… I got more y’all – yesterday would have been young Tamir Rice’s 14th birthday so I don’t want to hear anymore about how far we’ve come when paid public servants can pull a drive-by on 12 year old playing alone in the park in broad daylight, killing him on television and then going home to make a sandwich. Tell Rekia Boyd how it’s so much better than it is to live in 2012 than it is to live in 1612 or 1712. Tell that to Eric Garner. Tell that to Sandra Bland. Tell that to Dorian Hunt.

Now the thing is, though, all of us in here getting money – that alone isn’t gonna stop this. Alright, now dedicating our lives, dedicating our lives to getting money just to give it right back for someone’s brand on our body when we spent centuries praying with brands on our bodies, and now we pray to get paid for brands on our bodies.

There has been no war that we have not fought and died on the front lines of. There has been no job we haven’t done. There is no tax they haven’t leveed against us – and we’ve paid all of them. But freedom is somehow always conditional here. “You’re free,” they keep telling us. But she would have been alive if she hadn’t acted so… free.

Now, freedom is always coming in the hereafter, but you know what, though, the hereafter is a hustle. We want it now.

And let’s get a couple things straight, just a little side note – the burden of the brutalized is not to comfort the bystander.That’s not our job, alright – stop with all that. If you have a critique for the resistance, for our resistance, then you better have an established record of critique of our oppression. If you have no interest, if you have no interest in equal rights for black people then do not make suggestions to those who do. Sit down.

We’ve been floating this country on credit for centuries, yo, and we’re done watching and waiting while this invention called whiteness uses and abuses us, burying black people out of sight and out of mind while extracting our culture, our dollars, our entertainment like oil – black gold, ghettoizing and demeaning our creations then stealing them, gentrifying our genius and then trying us on like costumes before discarding our bodies like rinds of strange fruit. The thing is though… the thing is that just because we’re magic doesn’t mean we’re not real.

Thank you."

Twitter of course went into a frenzy! There was a huge amount of love and support for Williams. A lot of people resonating with his last quote "the thing is just because we're magic doesn't mean we're not real."

But of course, with anything good in life there are always those few people who want to tear it down. A petition of Change.org was released a couple of days after the speech. The petition calling for Shonda Rimes, "Grey's Anatomy" creator, to fire Jesse Williams from the hit series. The creator of the petition, Erin Smith, claimed that Williams speech was nothing to be praised. Instead, she believes that he "spewed a racist, hate speech against law enforcement and white people at the BET awards.” Also adding, “Why the one-way street? “Why the support for a hater? Why the hypocrisy? #AllLivesMatter”.

There are so many problems with this petition. First off, she is calling on Shonda Rimes, a black director, to fire Williams. Logic? There really isn't one. Rhimes is an outspoken person, and has been praised for shows like "Scandal" and "How To Get Away With Murder". That showcases strong women of color. Her productions have also been praised for her diverse cast of characters and hitting on issues that the media is to scared to hit on. So it's absurd to think that Shonda Rhimes would even think of firing Jesse. Rhimes took to Twitter and tweeted "Um,people? Boo don't need a petition. #shondalandrules"

Second problem with Erin Smith's comments on Jesse Williams speech, is how she claims he is racist towards white people. Nowhere in Williams speech is he saying white people suck, go away. No, he was simply stating facts. he talks about the violence problem that we have in America, racial inequality, and what steps we need to take for change.

My next problem was her last statement "#AllLivesMatter". the problem with this statement is that it takes away from the issues that black people face in America. It's not like we are saying this statement isn't true. My problem is when a individual uses All Lives Matter as a counter attack anytime somebody says Black Lives Matter, you are down playing the issue that is trying to be address. It's like saying "That's great and everything. but look at me, look at me, look at what I have to go through! The Daily's Beast writer, Arthur Chu, explained it using an example of somebody running into a cancer fundraiser and screaming "there are other diseases too!" Black men are nine times more likely than anybody else to be killed in the hands of law enforcement. More than a thousand African Americans were killed in the hands of the police just last year. The most recent cases are Alton Sterling, a black man who was shot multiple times at close range by two police officers. Philando Castile, also a black man, who was pulled over by a police officer for a broken taillight, was shot five times. His fiancee, Diamond Reynolds, live streamed the whole ordeal on Facebook, with her child also witnessing the murder of her father. But people still wonder why Black Lives Matter is such an important movement to have.

TV Host, Wendy Williams, also came under fire for her comments over the Jesse Williams controversy. She stated on her show how she saw both sides of the situation. "I must say to you, he was on BET. His speech was very poignant, on the other hand, I would be really offended if there was a school that was known as a historically white college. We have historically black colleges. What if there was the National Organization for White People, only? There's the NAACP." As a viewer watching from home I was shocked and her studio audience was sharing the same feeling as me, they were dead silent. Does Wendy Williams realize that Historical Black Colleges or HBCUs were made for African Americans to have the opportunity to have an education because they were not allowed in white colleges. African Americans seeking a chance to enroll into college were able to due to the establishment of HBCUs.

So your probably wondering how is Jesse Williams handling all of this? Well he made a statement on Twitter saying "Do not promote empty people & their tantrums. Pure clickbait to gain followers, attention & money, for themselves, not you. Never you."