People Notice Effort, So Do More Than What Is Expected Of You

working hard is the new cool

54
Emma King

People notice effort.

Plain and simple. If I’ve learned one thing from college and working, it’s the truth. Even when you think no one around you is watching, they are. Someone once told me, “do the hard thing, even when you don’t have to,” and it’s always stuck with me.

It’s so much easier to choose to do the bare minimum, to do only what is in your job description, or the basics of your assignment. It’s tempting to tell yourself, “it doesn’t matter. No one cares.” But I guarantee someone does.

People notice the little things. They notice when you go out of your way to help your classmate or coworker out. They notice when you finish your tasks and start another one without being asked. They notice when you tidy up just a little bit.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, people see when you’re reluctant. It’s obvious who shows up because they absolutely have to, and who is here because they want to get better, at whatever they’re doing. Attitude is everything, and people can tell when you’re faking that smile.

It's time to grow up.

If you don’t want to be here, leave. Do whatever you’re doing 100%, or find something else you can give your full effort to.

Life is too short to waste your time and everyone else’s doing something that isn’t going to improve yourself in some way. Even if you’re only there for the money, or just there for the attendance points, make yourself get something out of it. Look at the bigger picture, and find a way to motivate yourself to do the best job possible.

I’m over slackers. PSA: caring is cooler. Get good grades, take pride in your job, figure out what you want to do with your life.

Make the effort, not for anybody else but you. Do it for yourself.

When you stop worrying about what you HAVE to do and start thinking about what you COULD do, you’ll see positive results.

Let’s change the millennial perception that we’re all lazy and on our phones all the time. Be present, work hard, and make that extra effort, even if you think no one is watching.