To The People Who Are "Too Good" To Work In Fast Food

Congratulations, you have reached a new level of conceded.

425
Odyssey

I hear many people in my generation looking for a job say that they would apply to work at any place, but fast food. This always blows my mind, especially because fast food is one of the easiest places to get hired. If someone really needs the money, they will never be “too good” to work in fast food. The fact of the matter is, so many lessons can be learned from working from fast food.

Working in fast food has taught me how to work with a team.

You have to be able to work with other people to get the job accomplished. One person could not run a whole shift by themselves. They need their crew members to help them. You have to be able to put differences aside in order to make your customers happy. Having to able to work as a team is something that will show up for all of your life.

Working in fast food has taught me patience.

Let’s be honest, sometimes customers can be rude. They can (understandably) be mad that their food is taking forever to come out. Even though it may not be your fault, you still have to have the patience to listen to them and try to make the situation better. You obviously cannot give them attitude back because then you’d probably lose your job. For me, patience has always been something that I have lacked. But my years in fast food have helped me grow that virtue stronger.

Working in fast food has taught me that value of customer service.

The saying “the customer is always right” is mostly true when it comes to fast food. After all, they are ultimately the ones that are paying for your paycheck every week. They are the ones that are allowing you to keep your job.

Working in fast food has taught me how to be kind and understanding.

Many people that have not worked in fast food are the ones that are quick to get angry when something is wrong with their order. Let me tell you, the workers didn’t purposely do that. It’s not like we set out to mess up your order. In fact, we set out to do the exact opposite. Mistakes are inevitable in any job. But for some reason, people really like to get angry because a pickle was accidentally put on their burger when they could just take it off.

I am not saying that our job is hard; I am saying that everyone makes mistakes, which is why I believe people who have worked in fast food are much kinder when it comes to understanding mistakes when they go to restaurants. When I go out to eat, I understand that it is not the server’s fault that the food is taking a while. I don’t complain if they accidentally put pickles on my burger. In the rare case that something is really wrong with my food and I decide to say something, I still say it with empathy and kindness.

Quite honestly, the list could go on and on for all the things that working in fast food has taught me. Not only that, but working in fast food has given me lifelong friends. I have met people that I still keep in touch with and still hang out with. Going into work isn’t as bad when you work with people that you can truly call your friends. So for the people that are “too good” to work in fast food, these are all the life lessons you are missing out on. I promise you that I am much more prepared for future jobs because I have worked in fast food, and I promise that I am a much more empathetic and understanding person in many situations in life.