Five Things People Say When They Find Out You're A Secondary Education Major

No, It's NOT Easy!
100

Although I absolutely love my major, people are always surprised when they find out that I don’t want to teach elementary school. In fact, I have even had family members and some of my friend’s parents try to talk me out of it. If you’re in the same boat as me, then you’ll definitely relate to these things people say when they find out you’re a secondary education major:

“But You Would Make Such A Great Elementary School Teacher!”

Thank you for the compliment, but that just isn’t what I want to teach. If you want to go to college and become certified to teach elementary school kids, be my guest. I have nothing against people who want to teach that age range. But I would personally rather teach high school.

“Ooh. Those Kids Are Tough.”

All classrooms have a few kids that always act out of line, be it high school or elementary school. To say that every single high school aged kid is “tough” is an overgeneralization. The kids I work with at a high school right now are actually very motivated and willing to work with me and aren’t at all “tough” kids.

“Are You Sure About That?”

Yes, I’m sure. I’ve spent a lot of time and research in this, I have done tutoring and teacher’s aide with this age group. I am working on becoming certified to teach this age range, and I plan to receive my Master’s degree in this. It’s pretty safe to say that I’m sure I want to be a high school teacher.

“Oh Honey, God Bless You!”

Okay, I’ll give you that one. Especially if I teach in public schools, that will be true. But I’ve known that long before I began pursuing my dreams, and I am fully aware that I will need to adjust to that.

Although being a secondary education major is not common, it’s truly eye-opening to see how motivated and engaged the majority of the students are. I already have experience with this age group in being both a tutor and a teacher’s aide, and I can happily say that this is what I want to do.