People Say That College is the Best Time of Your Life, but What About What Comes After?

This is the beginning of the rest of your life.

189

I just said the words out loud: I graduated high school almost two years ago. It feels like just yesterday that I was walked across that stage wondering where life would take me. I wondered about what my roommate would be like, what I would do, and who I would meet along the way. Once you actually get there, college whooshes right past you. Before you know it, you're in your second semester of sophomore year.

With college comes a whole new level of stress, but it doesn't go without purpose. College is, of course, meant to prepare you for the real world where you will have a job and even more responsibilities. But I can't help but be a little scared for the next stage of my life, especially when time won't slow down and everyone is talking about graduate school.

I know that your twenties are supposed to be the best time of your life, but shouldn't the best part of your life be a time where there's stability? I don't know about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to a time of my life where I don't have to worry about whether or not I'll make rent this month or be able to feed myself. Though I don't really have to worry about those things right now exactly, somehow I envision myself struggling to make ends meet in my twenties. I know it sounds lame and grandma-ish, but I look forward to the time in my life that I don't have to worry about much. I can't wait for things to slow down.

College holds so many uncertainties. I can't even count how many times I've been told that nowadays, having a college degree doesn't even guarantee you a job anymore. A word of advice to all you baby-boomers: this "advice" does nothing but worry us millennials (and makes going to college feel like a waste). I mean, really, what kind of message are you really trying to convey to us? That we may as well not even try?

Those that say that college was the best time of their lives need to dig deeper. I'm going to college so that once I graduate I will be more educated, qualified, and ready for whatever field I get a job in. Some people are able to do this without college. After college, you have whole life is ahead of you. Your life has really just begun. Isn't that the best time of your life? When you're still deciding what you want to do and you have a world of options?

Adaptability is key, I guess. We just need to roll with the punches. Now, if you're like me, rolling with the punches is definitely not your thing. We control freaks definitely struggle in our twenties. Not knowing what's going on at all times is unheard of for people like us. I guess that's just something we'll have to learn to adapt to as well. Though we probably won't change, we can definitely try.