People Aren't Skittles

People Aren't Skittles

Donald Trump Jr’s tweet sparks anger across the Internet.

31
People Aren't Skittles
StockSnap

Donald Trump Jr. is currently facing intense backlash from a post he tweeted on Monday night, comparing Syrian refugees to a poisoned bowl of Skittles:

“If I had a bowl of skittles and I told you just three would kill you. Would you take a handful?" the picture reads. “That’s our Syrian refugee problem.”

As both Trump’s son and top advisor in the presidential campaign, Donald Trump Jr. suggested that the nation had poisoned people hiding within the thousands of Syrians fleeing war.

This post has shared widely on Twitter, receiving condemnation. Twitter users replied thousands of angered responses, receiving tweets from the candy company Mars Inc., people of Twitter, and the Trump campaign itself.

“Don Jr. has been a tremendous asset to the campaign,” the campaign said. “America has become less safe under Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and Clinton’s planned 550% increase in Syrian refugees is a dangerous proposal that will put American lives at risk. Speaking the truth might upset those who would rather be politically correct than safe, but the American people want a change, and only Donald Trump will do what’s needed to protect us.”

Donald Trump Jr’s post is not only inaccurate but plagiarized. Former Representative Joe Walsh released the exact same analogy in August, meaning Trump stole it, branded it with the Trump/Pence logo and tweeted it out.

This plagiarized tweet also used a picture of a bowl of Skittles, was stolen, according to BBC, by a former refugee. David Kittos, 48, from Guildford, UK, found the image he had posted on Flickr in January 2010 surrounded by political controversy. Kittos, a refugee from the Turkish occupation of Cyprus states, “I would never approve of the use of this image against refugees.”

The war in Syria has killed over 400,000 people and has uprooted nearly five million. The State Department has released statistics saying that fewer than 20 of the 785,000 refugees settled in the United States since September 11th have been arrested on terrorism charges. This Skittles meme has created incredibly accusations of insensitivity.

While this scenario does not deal directly with Donald Trump, it does involve his top advisor, who also happens to be his son. Donald Trump Jr. has proven to be someone who can promote hateful views and utilize blunt words catch the ear of audiences across the nation. This dehumanizing, ridiculous analogy, stolen from different sources, and angering thousands, has only caused pain and uncomfortableness for all involved.

This post is dehumanizing. Just like Mars Inc. said, “Skittles are candy; refugees are people. It’s an appropriate analogy.” While Donald Trump Jr. May have believed that this post would garner more votes and better press, it has done the exact opposite. More people than ever are upset with the Trump campaign, once again calling into question the validity of Trump as a candidate once again.