Patriots Owner Takes Stance Against Domestic Violence

About time someone in the NFL did something about this.

13
Chicaco Tribune

The 2017 NFL Draft is less than a month a way, so now is the time for the rumor mill to pick up steam. You'll be hearing rumors about what NFL teams want to do with their picks and what players they are, or aren't, targeting.

We're heard rumors that the Patriots might trade Jimmy Garoppolo to the Browns for some combo of their first round picks, and that they might trade Malcom Butler to the Saints. The latest news to come out of New England is about a player in the draft, and how they will in no way target him.

Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon is going to be drafted early. Potentially even in the end of the 1st round of the draft. However, it doesn't matter how many picks New England has or where their picks are, because one thing is for certain: Patriot's owner Robert Kraft will not be drafting him.

Robert Kraft recently told the Boston Herald that, "While I believe in second chances and giving players an opportunity for redemption, I also believe that playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. For me, personally, I believe that privilege is lost for men who have a history of abusing women."

It has also been reported that the Miami Dolphins have also taken Joe Mixon off their draft board.

Joe Mixon was suspended for the entire 2014 season due to a domestic violence incident. After that, the video of him punching the woman, Amelia Molitor, was released.

It would be an entirely different situation if, after he punched Amelia, he advocated against domestic violence and talked about how he became a changed man. That would probably help some teams forgive him for his past mistakes. However, all he has done is release a statement saying how sorry he was for punching her. It doesn't take a genius to know that he only released the statement to save his future career. If he was truly sorry for what he did, we would make sure the nation knew that. But he isn't sorry, and that's why NFL teams should not draft him.

The NFL is really quick to forgive players for domestic violence, sexual assault, drug abuse, and potentially murder (looking at you Ray Lewis), so long as they're great players and bring in money. Joe Mixon is a great player and will bring in money, but that shouldn't matter when he feels no remorse for punching defenseless women.

I commend Robert Kraft for taking a stand against violence against women. If more NFL owners like him would follow suit, the NFL could be the nation's leader in the battle to fight domestic violence and sexual assault.