I Was Terrified Of Getting A Job In College, But Not Anymore

How I found a job I love during college.

8
knuxkid

At some point during the first semester of this school year, I decided to get a job. Although becoming completely independent financially speaking is still a difficult task at the moment, I wanted to be able to say that I could pay for the things I enjoy getting and doing. Concert tickets? I’ve got the budget for that. Traveling? Yes, I can. Plus, nothing has made me as happy as opening a savings account I can slowly build up and depend on. (Do I sound like an old lady already?)

My job search began using all the resources the office of Arts and Sciences had available for me. From job postings to tips on how to make my resume stand, their services helped me go into the task without much fear. The job market, especially for students, is extremely competitive. There were many opportunities I could not benefit from and, others simply did not call back. I was biased and wanted an easy, comfortable office job. However, I decided to go out of my way to apply for a dining services job. Three out of the four dining places I had shown preference for answered me within days. They needed staff, it was understandable. But there was a dining place I had my eye on.

Bad roommate experiences during my first two years at Ohio State led me to find a “sanctuary” within the campus. Our restaurant, “Marketplace,” worked perfectly. It had space for me to sit with my books and study, it has multiple meal choices and it was far from North Campus, which was where my dorms were. I loved the place because of all of this. Working there seemed right. And after a successful interview, I began to work in my favorite food place on campus.

It wasn’t easy at first. I am still living on North Campus and it is a nice walk down to Marketplace sometimes, especially during the night after a closing shift (when the buses begin to be scarce). I wasn’t used to doing anything but study (and even that was a concern since I discovered procrastination in college). And I thought I was a very shy and awkward person. But still, I started my job and decided to do it well.

Today, I can’t see myself without getting ready to go down to South Campus and begin my shifts. Thanks to this place, I met three of my closest friends. I have stories about customers and employees that could make some tear up. I have developed a sense of confidence in myself and how I deal with others. And, of course, my bank account has never been more thankful!

Take pride on the things you do throughout your life, especially career wise. While not many may seem this experience as a highly valuable one, I have never been happier for choosing what to do with my spare time.