Parris Goebel is Using Dance to Empower Women

Award-winning choreographer, Parris Goebel, is using her involvement in the industry to impact the lives of young women like myself.

385

One 10 minute and 18 second video took my passion for dance to a whole new level when The Royal Family performed at World of Dance LA in 2015. It was one of the most precise and hard-hitting routines I have ever watched, choreographed by 28 year-old Parris Goebel of New Zealand. After coming across this Youtube video I was in tears, I've never felt inspired like that before. I immediately thought to myself, "Who trained these dancers?" and "Where can I find them?" Now I know this whole routine like the back of my hand.

"Who is Parris Goebel?," is the question I asked myself as I investigated into The Royal Family and their home, The Palace Dance Studio. First I was struck by her talent and then I noticed her passion for art and it became contagious. Since then I have been one of her biggest fans, following her achievements over social media and dreaming of the opportunity to take class from her.

Through her many accomplishments, I have recognized Parris' determination to empower women. Parris and her two sisters started Sisters United of New Zealand—an organization designed to better the lives of "Young Queens." The organization incorporates the creative process of art and dance in their teaching style, while providing girls a safe space to learn to use their voice and chase their dreams. Parris consistently displays love and compassion for herself and fellow dancers on social media, striving to instill power in women of all ages.

Over the years, I have watched Parris use her involvement in the industry to inspire young women like myself all over the world. In 2019, Rihanna's SavagexFenty fashion show took the industry by storm with Parris as the choreographer. Together these two powerful women rebranded what it looks like to be "sexy." Dancers and performers of all shapes, sizes, ethnicities and races took part in this show, setting the new standard. This was not simply a fashion show, it was a statement for women everywhere—to be unapologetically you. Parris radiates confidence, leading all of her dancers to do the same. Watching this brilliant creation made me feel fearless and driven.

Unfortunately, dreams are often deferred. Between the demands of society and the standards we hold ourselves to, something always seems to hold us back. In less than 10 years, Parris transformed her dreams into reality and is now one of the most well known dancers in the industry. She went from high school dropout to being an award winning choreographer who has worked for artists such as Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, and more. Following Parris' journey has given me the motivation I need to believe in my own dreams. I believe that as women we often lack strength. We tend to have sparks of confidence but eventually retract that attitude. Parris' strength just doesn't seem temporary to me. Parris Goebel has become an admirable, successful and powerful influencer in the dance world and she is the reason I will never give up on my dance career.

She's conquering the world, one crown at a time. #CrownsUp

Related Links:

https://youtu.be/Xw6k6Ma0oqo

http://www.thepalacedancestudio.co.nz/

Instagram: @parrisgoebel

Twitter: @parrisgoebel

Related Articles Around the Web