My Parents Are Divorced And That's Okay

My Parents Are Divorced And That's Okay

Having divorced parents is not the end of the world.
44

I was nine years old when my parents told my brother and me that they were separating. It was the day I got out for summer break. My mom told my brother and me that my she and my dad needed to talk to us. The child that I was thought it was good news like I was getting a new puppy or we were going on vacation, unfortunately, I was wrong.

When they told us the news about them separating I was crushed. The life I had known since I was born was about to change dramatically. And it did. My dad didn't live with us anymore. It was just me, my mom, and Keller.

I still got to see my dad, though. He actually still lived in the same neighborhood so, I got to see him a lot. I actually strayed away from my dad when my parents got divorced. I wanted to be with my mom 24/7. I eventually grew out of that.

It was so different at first. We didn't do anything as a family anymore. Family events were now separate. Holidays were separate.I got used to it however and it became normal for me. I understood why my parents were not together. It was better that they were apart.

At first, I hated telling people my parents were divorced. I would always get this look like "Oh I am so sorry." Or they would just want to feel sympathy for me. I didn't want sympathy. Then people always assume that kids of divorced parents are going to grow up and be a screw-up. No.

I am now 18 years old and my parents have been divorced for 9 years and I am fine. I have my life together. I go to school full time and work. I have a good head on my shoulders and the reason I do is because of my parents.

Even though they are divorced, it does not mean that they didn't parent me together. They both are the reason why I have my life together.

I am happy my parents are divorced now. I now not only have two parents but I have four. I have a wonderful step-mother and step-father that I wouldn't trade for the world. I have six step brothers and sisters who I love dearly. My parents getting divorced led to my family growing. Not only did it do that but I also got to see both of my parents fall in love with the right person.

Yes. I know that since my parents are divorced statistics say that I am more likely to divorce as well. But I will not be a statistic. I plan to find the right one.

So yes my parents are divorced and I am okay with that. I know both of my parents still love my brother and I more than anything. I know that they were not meant to be and that is OKAY.