My Parents Are Divorced And That's Okay

My Parents Are Divorced And That's Okay

Having divorced parents is not the end of the world.

228
My Parents Are Divorced And That's Okay
Huffington Post

I was nine years old when my parents told my brother and me that they were separating. It was the day I got out for summer break. My mom told my brother and me that my she and my dad needed to talk to us. The child that I was thought it was good news like I was getting a new puppy or we were going on vacation, unfortunately, I was wrong.

When they told us the news about them separating I was crushed. The life I had known since I was born was about to change dramatically. And it did. My dad didn't live with us anymore. It was just me, my mom, and Keller.

I still got to see my dad, though. He actually still lived in the same neighborhood so, I got to see him a lot. I actually strayed away from my dad when my parents got divorced. I wanted to be with my mom 24/7. I eventually grew out of that.

It was so different at first. We didn't do anything as a family anymore. Family events were now separate. Holidays were separate.I got used to it however and it became normal for me. I understood why my parents were not together. It was better that they were apart.

At first, I hated telling people my parents were divorced. I would always get this look like "Oh I am so sorry." Or they would just want to feel sympathy for me. I didn't want sympathy. Then people always assume that kids of divorced parents are going to grow up and be a screw-up. No.

I am now 18 years old and my parents have been divorced for 9 years and I am fine. I have my life together. I go to school full time and work. I have a good head on my shoulders and the reason I do is because of my parents.

Even though they are divorced, it does not mean that they didn't parent me together. They both are the reason why I have my life together.

I am happy my parents are divorced now. I now not only have two parents but I have four. I have a wonderful step-mother and step-father that I wouldn't trade for the world. I have six step brothers and sisters who I love dearly. My parents getting divorced led to my family growing. Not only did it do that but I also got to see both of my parents fall in love with the right person.

Yes. I know that since my parents are divorced statistics say that I am more likely to divorce as well. But I will not be a statistic. I plan to find the right one.

So yes my parents are divorced and I am okay with that. I know both of my parents still love my brother and I more than anything. I know that they were not meant to be and that is OKAY.