My Parents Didn't Give Me Everything I Wanted, Instead, They Gave Me A Work Ethic

I was making more money at 15 years old than I should have been... it should have gone to my head, I could have blown it.

324
Emily Yaritz

In high school, people used to joke around with me that I was an "entitled rich kid." Yes, my parents gave me everything I needed. I never had to worry about money or where my next meal was coming from. They even took me on vacation with them. I was spoiled being an only child, but what people don't realize is how my parents taught me the value of money.

My dad is a financial advisor so it's not hard to figure out where my money habits came from. I swear from the moment I was born, this man was talking to me about money and the stock market. My dad showed me what hard work could get you and even though my parents spoiled me, they never let me get away with too much. They always bought me off-brand clothing and looked for deals so I didn't get too big of an ego. I used to get so frustrated by this, but looking back, this is something I am so thankful for.

I started working full time when I was 15-years-old before I could even drive. I was making more money than a 15-year-old should be, so it shouldn't have surprised people when I bought a brand new car when I was 17, but it did. There were some people that thought it was mommy and daddy's money that got me the shiny new car, but the people who knew me knew it was all me. Every fancy thing I own is my own doing. I work hard for every single thing I have. Nothing has been handed to me. Yes, I could have not worked until I was older, but my parents raised me with a strong work ethic and I couldn't wait to earn my own way in this world.

People always say they admire my work ethic, but more people joke with me about being an "entitled rich kid" and I'm OK with that because what I've accomplished this far is unrealistic. So to the doubters, all I can say is this is the real deal so you better start believing it.