What Parents Need To Understand When Their Kids Come Home For Summer Break
Summer Break

5 Things Every College Student Wants Their Parents To Understand When They Come Home For Summer Break

We've grown up, but we still love you.

930
Annabelle Farrow

Coming home from college is a huge adjustment. Be patient with us and we will be patient with you. Here are the biggest things we want our parents to know when we come home from college, but don't know exactly how to express them.

1. We aren't being rude when we get annoyed when you ask us where we are going

I have just spent the past year doing our own thing. I make my rules. I never have to second guess going to the grocery store or going out at night. In college, I can go out whenever. I'm not used to having to check in with someone. If I seem annoyed when you ask me where I am going, please don't take it the wrong way. I just need to get adjusted to a new routine.

2. Just because I don't want to hangout, doesn't mean I don't love you

Coming home from college means a break. It means coming home to high school friends. It means getting my hair and nails at my favorite salons. I promise I love you still, I just have a lot on my to-do list. Let me settle in and see my friends. I promise life will simmer down. Let me get past the first wave of excitement.

3. I know you want to learn about my semester, but don't ask me all at once

I am coming home to relax and get away from school work. I just got done with finals. My brain is fried. Don't bombard me with questions about every bit of my semester as soon as I get home. I don't mind answering them just give me some time. Spread out the questions and sprinkle them into conversations.

4. Me staying out late doesn't mean I'm out getting into trouble

Like I said, I am used to never checking in with someone. I am used to staying out with friends until 2 am talking. Just because I go downtown doesn't mean I'm getting hammered (maybe I am lol but not always). Staying over at someone's house until late is just what I am used to. I have been on my own for a year, I promise I can take care of myself past your 9 o'clock bedtime.

5. Don't tell me I need to workout, I get that college has made me fluffy

I look in the mirror each morning. I know I'm fluffy. Please just buy me fruit and let me lose this fluff. Love you.