To My Parents

To My Parents

A letter of appreciation to the two who raised me and continue to support me.

247
To My Parents
Hope for Women Magazine

To the two caring and supportive teachers, caregivers and advocators I get to call my parents...thank you.

Thank you for being patient with me through my childhood tantrums, my doubts and insecurities, my struggles and my stubbornness. Thank you for inspiring me and motivating me to try my best in everything that I do. Thank you for teaching me to constantly work hard and be fully involved in my extracurricular activities and studies. Thank you for helping me come out of my shell to be more open and willing to take risks and try new things. Thank you for encouraging me to do what I love and find my true passions. Thank you for showing me what generosity and understanding means. Thank you for being the support system I need day and night.Thank you for instilling in me important values and morals that I will continue to live by. Thank you for being good role models for kindness, acceptance and compassion. Thank you for not letting me ignore or forget my roots; my culture.

To my mom: thank you for forcing me to take piano lessons when I was 5, and then convincing me to pick up the violin when I was 11. Your passion and dream has always been singing so naturally music was a big part of my life growing up. Thank you for letting me explore my interests and sharing your love for music with me. Thank you for calling me out on my bullshit and not letting me make up petty excuses. I know I can be a handful sometimes, too impatient, too stubborn and too sensitive. Thank you for teaching me responsibility and humility. Having you as a mom makes it incredibly easy for me to learn and develop character.Thank you for letting me cry on your shoulder, rant to you about drama and school, laugh with you, be openly and unequivocally weird, and even yell at you on occasion. Thank you for forgiving me and loving me unconditionally. Thank you for always making sure I learned a lesson and shaping me to become the woman I am today. Thank you for being emotional for the both of us and wearing your heart on your sleeve. Your immense goodness and kindness is contagious and powerful. Thank you for giving me the challenge of living up to your standards. Thank you for providing me with rules, guidelines, advice, experiences and intuition to help and stimulate my growth as a person. Thank you for just being there and listening. You are my reliable, intelligent and loving confidant.

To my dad: thank you for being the living and breathing representation of work ethic and dedication. Thank you for doing everything in your power to make sure I am happy, well-educated and living the best life I can possibly live. Thank you for working so hard to protect and provide for our family. Thank you for continuing to show humility, gratitude and patience, despite the sacrifices you have made and the obstacles you have had to overcome. Thank you for truly being the rock of the family. Thank you for your little acts of love and care, even though you don't always physically or outwardly show it. Thank you for always asking how my day is or what is new with me or what my goals are. Thank you for educating me on how to be open-minded, to not be prejudiced and to be more flexible and organized. Thank you for keeping me on my toes and stretching my knowledge and abilities. Thank you for your grand gestures that are often behind the scenes. Thank you for being so selfless, putting my interests and benefit first, whether it is encouraging me to do the things I like or providing me with the resources to succeed. Thank you for having the biggest smile and look of pride when I showcase my accomplishments. Thank you for providing me with expectations and a template for the kind of person I want in my future husband.

I am who I am because of you two. I will never take that for granted. I hope to be just as strong, kind, independent and well-rounded. Thank you for being the best parents a girl could ask for. I can only work endlessly to be the best daughter I can be.