11 Signs Your Parent Is Your Best Friend

11 Signs Your Parent Doubles As Your Best Friend

Your built-in BFFL.

801
Maggie Joyce

Arguably, our parents are our very first friends. When you're an only child like me, they can be your only friends for many of your formative years, until you go off to preschool. After getting over those moody teenage years, parent-child relationships can actually thrive when you reach adulthood. Here are 11 signs that your parent may be your best friend.

1. You call/text/FaceTime them. Every. Single. Day.

No shame in this one at all, sometimes they really just want to know how youre doing! But sometimes…

2. You call/text/FaceTime them more than they call/text/FaceTime you.

Sorry for calling for the 7th time today, dad…I know you're at work, but I have so much to tell you!

3. You set up specific activities to do together.

It can be going to the movies, shopping, or grabbing lunch, but you definitely fit them into your schedule over everyone else.

4. You enjoy spending time with them whatever chance you get.

Adult life gets so busy, so quickly. Enjoying those moments together, no matter how short, is important!

5. They’re the only person you want to talk to when life gets really rough.

Admit it – on those really tough days, most of us just want to hug our moms or dads. There really is no comfort like it.

6. You still ask them their opinion before making decisions.

Okay, I'm 20 years old now, I know I don't need to ask my dad permission to do things. But still…I value his opinion more than anyone else's!

7. When listing the most important people in your life, they are number one.

For most people, this is a no brainer. Of course your parents come first. But as important people like significant others and best friends come into our lives, it can be hard to share our love. For me, my dad will always be number one!

8. They know you better than anyone else.

They've seen you running around in diapers and taught you how to read. They get your quirks better than anyone else, and I'm sure you've got theirs pretty down pat, too.

9. They are your inspiration.

I will still say that my mom is my hero. Because our parents are our very first role models, they inspire us to be who we are.

10. They will tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.

This caused some conflict for us all growing up, but as an adult, it's nice to have a built-in confidant and advice giver when you really need it.

11. You have absolutely no shame in admitting that they are your best friend.

Of course, we all have our friends, our best friends, and our significant others. But the transition from parent to friend in adulthood is a beautiful thing – enjoy it! (And enjoy not having a curfew anymore, either.)

I'm lucky enough to say that I have multiple best friends in different forms in my life. But the one person I know will always have my back is my dad - the best friend I could ever ask for!