What It Means To Be Pansexual

What It Means To Be Pansexual

Pans?

12
What It Means To Be Pansexual
deviantart

Pansexual: A person who experiences sexual, romantic, physical and/or spiritual attraction for members of all gender identities/expressions (as defined by It'sPronouncedMetrosexual.com)

Pansexual: A person who is in love with pans and most definitely makes out with them in their spare time. I mean seriously, I like to cook I like pans, but in that way? Nope. I can bet that most pansexuals have heard this at some point in their life, and with a smile defined their sexuality. Although people still seem confused, so here we go.

So I'm a pansexual as most of the world doesn't know. I first talked about it with a friend late in high school and thank goodness for having amazing friends, because I was immediately accepted. And shortly thereafter I was also accepted by other friends and close family. But unlike its similar counterpart, bisexuality, people don't really get it. Many people have asked me why I chose the label of pansexuality, and for me personally I've experienced physical and romantic attraction towards all sorts of people in public. I don't worry (too much) about their gender identity or how they express themselves. Instead, it is all about attraction. I like people, what can I say.

A huge thing for me is people asking me about the significant others I've had as if they need proof for this lesser known sexuality. I respond with: I've had one boyfriend and currently have another. My current boyfriend is straight. People get confused at times and assume that it means I've magically changed my sexuality. I haven't. If I date straight men for the rest of my life I still consider myself to be pansexual.

I do not need proof of my sexuality NOR should anyone. My sexuality may change, although I suspect no, but I determine my own sexuality. I mean, it is my life, and even without the label, I can live however I choose. For me, having a label means expressing myself and being able to be in touch with other people in the community.

As a member of the LGBTTQQIAAP community, I am constantly defining and redefining to people who do and do not understand. I will put myself out there and say that I will talk about it, but with all the violence there is always fear. Pansexuals also don't make up the largest percentage of the community and the sexuality is misunderstood often. But just like other sexualities we deserve respect and the ability to be comfortable in who we are wherever we go.

To learn more about pansexuality, check out the greatest person ever on YouTube, Laci Green. She has great videos on pansexuality and everything to do with sexuality in general. I highly recommend her.

I suppose I will consider this coming out of the closet as they do say, though regardless of my label my name is Caroline and I hope you enjoyed the read. If you have any questions, I'm around! Much love.